Phuket Logistics Suggestions? Bang Tao Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some operators have their own boat while others shared(cattle boat). You have to ask.

Bangtao has their own longtail for diving off Bang Tao Beach.

But who has their own boat that does the day trips from Chalong? See Bees sometimes runs one. Anyone else?

Also, I wouldn't call these cattle boats exactly. In the US and Caribbean at least, we use that to refer to boats that are stuffed with 20 to 40 divers, have their own DMs and provide short, controlled dives to the cruise ship industry or people looking for a bargain.

The boats leaving from Chalong do have a lot of divers, but they are large enough that everyone can spread out comfortably. And since people dive with their own guides, they can do whatever their ability allows. The one limitation is on total dive time at each site because of the long distance between sites and the desire to get back at a reasonable hour, but they will let the most experienced groups off as soon as they arrive at a site and they can come in last, so 60-70 minute dive times are possible.

The long tail boat is for the local dive.
No difference from US and Caribbean. I had experienced it twice and hate it. Imagine 30+ divers on Kings Cruiser!
Even those with their own boat will not say no to extra revenue.

758779937.jpg

No difference from US and Caribbean. I had experienced it twice and hate it. Imagine 30+ divers on Kings Cruiser!
Even those with their own boat will not say no to extra revenue.
I've been on four different day boats and never felt crowded. Maybe it's the person doing the selection for me. Now is probably the time for me to plug my go to shop in Phuket. Welcome to Phuket dash Scuba, your personal divecenter on Phuket. @stevenl knows the boats and the itineraries. Tell him what you want and he'll either get it or tell you why it isn't possible and what the best substitute is.

I never thought to take photos of the boats, but here's a taste.

Walking down a section of the pier towards our boat.
IMG_20180207_080041.jpg

After breakfast.
18738577.jpg

View attachment 713856

I've been on four different day boats and never felt crowded. Maybe it's the person doing the selection for me. Now is probably the time for me to plug my go to shop in Phuket. Welcome to Phuket dash Scuba, your personal divecenter on Phuket. @stevenl knows the boats and the itineraries. Tell him what you want and he'll either get it or tell you why it isn't possible and what the best substitute is.

I never thought to take photos of the boats, but here's a taste.

Walking down a section of the pier towards our boat.
View attachment 713851

After breakfast.
View attachment 713855
Thanks for sharing your photos!! I see what they mean now. Much different than the boats I've dived with in Bahamas and Hawaii. Having read about the defemation laws. I'm not sure if you can or want to comment but any recommended dive shops that work with the Mandarin queen? Since they offer pickup where I'm located. Bao tao dive shop seems okay. I also found phuket dive center as well but since you've been on one if love to hear which dive shops you went with.

Thanks for sharing your photos!! I see what they mean now. Much different than the boats I've dived with in Bahamas and Hawaii. Having read about the defemation laws. I'm not sure if you can or want to comment but any recommended dive shops that work with the Mandarin queen? Since they offer pickup where I'm located. Bao tao dive shop seems okay. I also found phuket dive center as well but since you've been on one if love to hear which dive shops you went with.
I'm in the USA, no worries about being jailed for sharing my opinion here.

For the day trips I've only dived with Steven. I linked to his shop in my last post. I don't remember the names of the boats we used. I'd recommend contacting him on WhatsApp. He can and will tell it like it is over the phone or in person, he just can't do it online.

All 3 you mention are the same company (practically, not juristically). Not my favourite because this is the boat tha most resembles the cattle principle of the boiats offering trips. But yes, they will be cheapest from Bang Tao, and if travelling by yourself the transport charge from others is high due to distance.

I was on Phuket in Dec and again in Feb. I used Sea Fun Divers for all my local dives and training. They operate out of Le Meridien Hotel, not far from Patong. They have their own boat. They use the hotel pool for training, its huge. The hotel is located on private cove so the beach is private - perfect for training. They provided van service to the pier and from my hotel to their shop.. I thought the operation was run nicely. Rene and Nick are the owners and Ron was my instructor good instructors and quality people. I will probably do my DM training there next Feb.

I was on Phuket in Dec and again in Feb. I used Sea Fun Divers for all my local dives and training. They operate out of Le Meridien Hotel, not far from Patong. They have their own boat. They use the hotel pool for training, its huge. The hotel is located on private cove so the beach is private - perfect for training. They provided van service to the pier and from my hotel to their shop.. I thought the operation was run nicely. Rene and Nick are the owners and Ron was my instructor good instructors and quality people. I will probably do my DM training there next Feb.
I really appreciate you sharing your experience and opinion! Knowing you're willing to do your DM training with them is a big recommendation. I'll have to take a look. Thank you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom