Phuket diving - trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Traminer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just an update for some of you considering diving in Phuket... very nice dive destination recovered from the tsunami. it is a real convenient spot for most of us here in Singapore, being an inexpensive budget flight away and no fuss getting a boat to the various dive sites 2-3 hours away.

My one sore spot is that most of the dive spots are doing the usual same places. Its rare for an op to do something different or exploratory diving, can't understand why not, since there must be so many undiscovered spots in the Andaman Sea. I mean how often can u dive in Bungalow Bay in Racha Yai without getting jaded?

Sat 29/04 Racha Noi
- Was going to go to Hin Daeng/Hin Muang via speedboat but trip was cancelled due to strong swell. SteveNL booked me instead with Sea Fun at the Le Meredien going to Racha Noi. (Dankje Steve!!)
- Sea Fun is a top notch operation. The dive boat was spanking new and appears to designed to be a dive boat with nice spacious dive deck, air-con saloon, great food and santastic dive guide. It is their policy not to carry more than 20 divers so lots of space to set up.
- I dived with A who took pains to show us tons of macro stuff, lionfish, shrimp and the usual reef fish. Nice relaxed dive... but missed out on the eagle rays tho... *sigh*
- Banana Bay is quite calm, but we hit a thermocline at 18m that brought bad vis and some current.

Sun 30/4 SharksPoint/Anemone Reef/Koh Doc Mai
- Went with West Coast Divers this time on their wooden boat with barely 10 divers. They seem pretty popular with a full boat to Phi Phi on Sat. Thankfully, sundays are a lot more peaceful.
- Dive sites generally were marred by poor vis and currents at 1 knots. The fish made up for it tho. Jellyfish season now.. *ouch*
- Koh Doc Mai - fantastic wall diving with macro, shrimp, morays, stonefish, scorpionfish, sea snakes. Vis was very good at 5-8m.
- Anemone Reef - Lovely submerged reef covered with anemones (and anemonefish). 3xLeopard shark at seabed (27m!), yellow moray eel (do they come in yellow?), even more cleaner shrimps.
- Sharks Point - contrary to popular belief, there ARE sharks in sharks point!!! 1x leopard shark at seabed (25.2m!). The usual lionfish and other reef fish. Vis by now dropped to 5m and real bad current at submerged reef #2.

Day 3 tomorrow, will post more details and photos. So far so good.. if only the rays will appear for Racha Yai!

Day 3 - Racha Yai - Staghorn Reef
- Went back with West Coast to one of the regular dive sites.
- Nice currents, good vis of about 15m
- Good mix of reef fishes, ghost pipefish, titan triggerfish, lobsters and king crabs?
- Narkie the hawksbill was very kind to make a guest appearance during the afternoon dive

Epilogue - some fantastic diving in Phuket with unexpected pleasures. With the island now hitting low season, there should be some great deals with the dive spots. I understand Racha may be dived year round and even Koh Doc and Phi Phi can be good on good days. The dive op running the boat you're with really makes a difference tho.. with the quality of guide and of the boat rides over to the site.

(PS can anyone identify this fish below?) :05:

Thanks Moon.. was wondering about the fish in the crevice. Any ideas?

Mine is a Canon A70.. no underwater mode. Please excuse the particles... this is my 2nd outing with the camera.

Traminer:
Thanks Moon.. was wondering about the fish in the crevice. Any ideas?

Mine is a Canon A70.. no underwater mode. Please excuse the particles... this is my 2nd outing with the camera.
Diodon Liturosus, Masked Porcupinefish.
I've a few picts I took of one at Racha Noi, I think. Shy, almost coy in their behavior and appearance.

http://filaman.ifm-geomar.de/Photos/ThumbnailsSummary.php?ID=6552

Very nice.. glad I didn't make him explode!

Danke schoen, Moon! :)

Thanks for the report traminer. Your dive report seems typical of many people's experiences - a real mix of marine life, visibility and weather. It is end of season now - one of the big advantages is (as you found out) - uncrowded boats. If you come at Christmas do not expect 10 divers on any boat! The right boat and guide also helps.

Pretty much all the local sites can be dived on day trips year round. Racha Yai - I prefer it in the low season, as a west wind means you are bound to dive on the (nicer) east coast. There tend to be more leopard sharks in the low season at Shark Point, Anemone Reef and Phi Phi. Low season weather is normally OK, but you can't expect calm seas every day. I think low season is a good time to dive here and you will be sure to get a bargain on hotels too.

Phuket Dive Sites

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom