Phuket Day Trip April 2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buadhai

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
After decades of diving this was my first effort at underwater photography. I hope to get better. This was a day trip on the Similan Queen with dives at Bida Nok, Koh Phi Phi Lay (Palong Wall) and Shark Point.

Attachments

• Phuket018.jpg
    Phuket018.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Phuket021.jpg
    Phuket021.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 50
  • Phuket024.jpg
    Phuket024.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Phuket027.jpg
    Phuket027.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Phuket036.jpg
    Phuket036.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Phuket039.jpg
    Phuket039.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 40
  • Phuket042.jpg
    Phuket042.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 42
  • Phuket051.jpg
    Phuket051.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Phuket063.jpg
    Phuket063.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Phuket078.jpg
    Phuket078.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 38
  • Phuket081.jpg
    Phuket081.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 38
  • Phuket087.jpg
    Phuket087.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 44
  • Phuket090.jpg
    Phuket090.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 42
  • Phuket096.jpg
    Phuket096.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 52
  • Phuket099.jpg
    Phuket099.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 42
A few more.

Attachments

• Phuket111.jpg
    Phuket111.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 38
  • Phuket117.jpg
    Phuket117.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Phuket129.jpg
    Phuket129.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 49
What camera are you using? What settings?
My favorite is the moray with the cleaner wrasses. And the anemone with its resident fish is cute.

The camera is a point-and-shoot Canon PowerShot A1000IS in an Ikelite housing. I just put it in program mode, set the ISO to 80 with flash always on.

I'm not aiming to be a great photographer; just want to preserve some memories. I'm quite happy with the results.

Different photographers have different objectives. Some toss every photo of a fish shot from behind into the trash bin (I admit that I'm one of these) while others want a shot of everything they see. I've got one diver who is a secondary school science teacher, and he loves to catalog all the different species he's seen. It's hard to do by memory, so he snaps shots all through the dives. Fish tail photos very often give him enough information to meet his objective. I've got several divers who spend a lot of time to get the shot just right in terms of lighting and composition, shooting multiple images of the same subject. Pictures of fish tails don't meet their objectives for technical precision. I've got another diver who takes pictures to show his young son so that the boy can sort of dive vicariously until he's old enough to become a real dive buddy. Technical perfection isn't important to him, nor documenting everything, but he does like color, color, color!

If you're happy with your pictures, then keep doing things the way you're now doing them! They're your shots after all, nobody else's.

I have to admit that I never would have bothered with a camera but for the urging of family and friends who wanted to know what I was seeing "down there". I'm sure I'll be much more selective in the future. Odd thing is that photos I think are junk seem to get the ooohs and ahhhs from non-divers.

Back
Top Bottom