Photoshop Headscratcher: Canon .CR2 (RAW) files

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

highdesert

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Greetings -

I'm confused, I mean more than usual ...

Wife/buddy and I have similar UW photo setups. Mine is based around a Canon S95, wife's around a Canon S110. I've been processing my shots in Photoshop Elements 10, which is more than adequate for the results I want. Wife went to start processing her shots, and when attempting to open a RAW file (.CR2 in Canon-speak) in Elements, she gets the message displayed below. When I look at the file properties of her RAW files and mine, they appear to be identical. And if I attempt to open either hers or mine in Canon's DPP (Digital Photo Professional), they both open just fine. But not in Photoshop Elements. Does anyone have an answer to this?

Thanks in advance!

Canon CR2.JPG

Different raw formats (even with the same file extension) need different camera raw software to open. Upgrade camera raw and you should be fine.
Bill

Since this is within Elements, it looks like either Photoshop RAW needs to be upgraded (though why it stopped working doesn't make any sense unless it autoupdates the app but then upgrading RAW won't help since it would be causing the error), or the setting for supporting different extensions is incorrectly set. It would be interesting to know if it opens Elements when you double click the file in Explorer. If it does, that tends to mean the os has the right settings for the extension but maybe the app doesn't. BTW, they are up to v14 now. I'd consider changing to that before they screw that up with their new monthly pricing (it only works while you are paying for it) garbage as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom