Photoshop filters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zippy

Registered
Reaction score
Being very new to digital photography and photoshop, I have a question. A number of months back I read an article, (can't remember which dive mag), discussing canned filters for underwater photos. The filters removed the natural blue tinge, but I can not for the life of my remember where where the article was.

Is anyone using such a filter or do you know anyone that has written such software.

Thanks,
Ken

Is this a PhotoShop filter for U/W shots (which I haven't heard of before) or a filter for the camera (which is common)? Like this . (second one down)

John, thanks for your help, we are looking for a software filter. The correcting optical filters would cause me to have to go to a much bigger strobe.

NCDiver, thanks that's just what I was looking for, a plug in for Elements 2.0. By any chance have you used any of the three they discussed?

No I really haven't. I use hue, saturation and levels inside of photoshop and get pretty much what I'm looking for-granted I work in photoshop all day.

I just asked my girlfriend, who has a degree in this stuff (digital media), and she said the same thing, i.e. using PhotoShop's hue saturation, color balance, etc., but she has heard of the Elements and Adobe Aftereffects plugins ass well.

Anyone spot the error in the e-nekton process?

Resize the image THEN crop it - I don't think so....

good explanation of why not to save jpgs though. I'm always having to explain that one. now I have a link.

I also think Photodshop has more than enough capability for this without plugins.

I'm also a graphic arts major and would suggest the same thing... most importantly levels, and don't use auto-levels! You'll have much better control in Levels. Also hue/sat, but if you want to make those kinds of underwater color adjustments, try "variations" under: Image>Adjust>Variations..it's pretty nifty. You can see various versions of your photo with more cyan, red, blue, etc. added or taken away. It's pretty useful for adding back the red that you lose underwater and for turning that nasty greenish tinge into a blue. I've seen people use red optical filters on their cameras or red cellophane in their housing, but I think it "variations" should do the trick. I don't know if Variations is available in Photoshop elements though..

Variations can be found in Elements by going to Enhance/Adjust Color/Variations.

I started out with Elements by using the auto fix and other auto buttons. But as the experts are saying, sometimes that's the worst thing to do. I'm getting used to using the other options first and I'm surprised at the difference.

I have a request for those of you who are graphic artists or are very familiar with Photoshop and PS Elements. It would be very nice if you could take a photo and write us a tutotial on how to fix it. Step by button step, showing before and after photos.

I know that's alot to ask but something like that would be great for our Tips and Techniques section.

All my teachers have strongly suggested to never use any of the auto functions in photoshop, and one of them even used to work for adobe! But.. I admit I find myself testing it out every once in awhile and SOMETIMES you get good results. Here is what David Blatner, photoshop and quark guru says about using auto levels(excerpt from the book "Real World Photoshop"): "Auto levels is a feature we strongly suggest you avoid (unless you want an automatic way of wrecking your images). It automatically moves the black and white input sliders to clip a predetermined amount of data separately on each channel. In the processs, it almost invariably introduces major color shifts."

The histogram will give you an idea of the overall tonal range (the diagram that looks like little mountains peaks). A broad histogram is ideal (when the mountains fill the entire diagram from left to right), a narrow histogram means just that, that the tonal range is narrow. You can get force changes in the histogram by messing with brightness/contrast. (this is recommended by the Adobe Print Publishing Guide) Before color correction, pixels are often concentrated in the midtones, you want to get it spread out more evenly across the histogram. Sometimes I just move the darks and highlight arrows (the left and right arrows) to the edge of the mountains, then adjust the midtone arrow. This usually yields more contrast.

I'll see if I can put together a tutorial later but it might not be that great, I'm still learning! For a really good photoshop book with expert advice on color and tonal correction, check out "Real World Photoshop:Industry Strength Production Techniques". If you're looking for the best advice on practical stuff, stay away from the photoshop books that teach you tricks like making text look like flames or metal, and stuff like that. Those books tend not to go in depth about color correction topics.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom