Photolight tg6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Raphus

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I got a tg6 with the olympus housing.
Next year i want to fokus on learning how to do better pictures.

Besides the skills, i need also more equipment.
I am not into videos, so i want lights for photography (there is a difference?)

The orcha torches are recommended a lot lately.
Does anyone has experience with them and the tg6 housing?
Or any other lights that will work well?

What kind of attachment do i neet to use the lights?

Thanks!

Video lights are for video.

Strobes are for stills.

You can attach either to the cold shoe on top of the housing.

Better yet, get a tray and arms for positioning the lights further from the lens.

And, two are better than one.

$lippery slope.

I forgot to mention that. I plan to buy 2 lights.

Are they special arms for olympus, or is any arm fitting?

I bought a tray from China on Ebay along with some other pieces. It's all aluminum, feels pretty good. The trigger in the picture is kinda crappy, but I guess its needed. Everything was $100, but $30 of that is the trigger. I have to keep an eye on that because it has moving parts and tends to work itself loose. (Takes a while though).

This all holds the light / camera really well.

I personally wouldn't mount to the shoe on top...no matter how hard I try to get something to attach I always worry it'll fall off. I have had a light fall off thankfully right before a dive and not during. It's not a great position anyway.

Good luck. And it is $$$. My little setup is crap compared to most. Heck I still have a TG-1, lol.

Attachments

• 20201121_170451.jpg
    20201121_170451.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 123
  • 20201121_170500.jpg
    20201121_170500.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 128
Thanks, jeah its expensive..
What light do u have?

My recommendation and what I shoot with my TG-6 is the Inon S2000. It's not the most powerful of strobes on the market, however, the form factor is smaller and 'fits' more alongside the idea of a smaller point-and-shoot like the TG-6. So far I've only shot with one, but it has a good amount of power and can produce some really nice shots.

I do agree with the above to go the tray and arm(s) route rather than putting into the cold shoe. Positioning is everything to prevent backscatter and having the freedom to move the light is paramount if you want to get the best picture.

Thanks, jeah its expensive..
What light do u have?

I received an Xtar D36 from a fellow SB'er to try out. It's bright, but pretty bulky. I'm not sure I would buy one, I don't like the proprietary battery, but to be honest I haven't used it with the camera yet. Hoping for this weekend and I can give some better feedback.

I did use it on a recent trip to New Jersey for some wreck diving mounted to a goodman handle, that worked well. I did like that the brightness is adjustable and it's basically 2 lights, one broad "video" light and the the more narrow spot light. Both are controlled independently.

Thanks i will look if i can find a light fitting my needs. I am still not sure what to look for :D

Video lights will work OK for close-ups, not so much for anything more than a few feet away.
They also are irritating at night to other divers.
Strobes are the desirable lights. Start with just one if money is a problem.
Trays can be cheap but arms and clamps can add up. A single-sided KitDive tray is only about $20. There are cheap ball clamps, but they are best avoided; cheap ball arms can be found.
The Olympus -- virtually ALL cameras -- has a 1/4x20 tripod female bolt on the bottom; some cameras have two. That is the mounting methiod for the tray to the camera housing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom