Photography with a canister light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnN

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I have a brand-new canister light I'm eager to try out this weekend, but I'm wondering what to do about my camera.

My camera is usually clipped to the right chest "D" ring on my harness with a snap harness (unsnap the clips and the two clips are attached by a coiled bungee).

The left chest "D" holds a pony bottle, so I'd like to leave that clear

Do I just leave the light on the boat when I want to take pictures, or should I try and clip off both to the right chest "D" ring?

Thanks!!

(I should add that the camera is on a small tray with a strobe)

I just use my camera, with the Goodman handle on my left hand. (Though I clip odd the camera "leash" to my left chest D ring.)

In the rare times that it does interfere with the photo process, I simply loop the light cord behind my neck and let it dangle for a minute or two.

I find my can light way too useful to leave behind. I use it constantly, whether I have a camera or not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

So I have a brand-new canister light I'm eager to try out this weekend, but I'm wondering what to do about my camera.

My camera is usually clipped to the right chest "D" ring on my harness with a snap harness (unsnap the clips and the two clips are attached by a coiled bungee).

The left chest "D" holds a pony bottle, so I'd like to leave that clear

Do I just leave the light on the boat when I want to take pictures, or should I try and clip off both to the right chest "D" ring?

Thanks!!

(I should add that the camera is on a small tray with a strobe)

If your pony bottle is sidemounted instead of clipping the top bolt snap off to a d ring you could bungee it instead, this would free up some room and probably help keep it nice and tight against your body too. You could also try this mod to your light cable, it will allow it to dangle and have the head point straight down, it means the head and goodman handle won't be cluttering up that d ring which will free up some room. I use that mod when I stop to take notes, free's up a hand and also points the light where I need to see it to write.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374268601.571463.jpg

Canister can be strapped to your side, typically with your 6ft. hose running under it. Deco bottle should be on your other side, leaving your chest clear for the camera. Some clip the camera to the crotch D-ring.

If your pony bottle is sidemounted instead of clipping the top bolt snap off to a d ring you could bungee it instead, this would free up some room and probably help keep it nice and tight against your body too. You could also try this mod to your light cable, it will allow it to dangle and have the head point straight down, it means the head and goodman handle won't be cluttering up that d ring which will free up some room. I use that mod when I stop to take notes, free's up a hand and also points the light where I need to see it to write.
View attachment 160485

I have done this. I'll let the light hhead point straight down and leave it turned on. This way my buddies can spot me easily when I go out for a long shot and if I need light I can quickly grab it and point it where I need it without in clipping the light. I carry a pony and clip the camera lanyard to the left chest where the pony is clipped. The camera stays in my hand though. I rarely clip it off because I scratched te lens once when it was clipped off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom