Photography thoughts of a new diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yeroks

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I took my first trip a few months back to Cozumel and the Cayman Islands. On my dives in Cozumel, I was with a large group on what most would call a "Cattle boat". Many of the divers had cameras with them and once in the water very few were qualified to be taking pictures in my opinion. They were totally unaware of their surroundings, bumping into coral, bothering marine life by sticking the cameras into holes and one even kicked my mask off with his fin while angling for a better shot. My instructor spoke at length on this subject and urged us not to pick up a camera anytime soon. It's too bad the folks on my dive did not hear or follow this advice. I ask that other new divers take a long hard look at their skills and experience before dabbling in underwater photography.

We have seen divers like that too, yeroks. That's a very good point. Welcome to ScubaBoard by the way...:D

yeroks:
I ask that other new divers take a long hard look at their skills and experience before dabbling in underwater photography.

I concur I think every diver should have at least AOW or underwater photography specialty. Or at least 50 dives where by this time they should very very comfortable wth their diving skills. I saw many new underwater camera users last year at the Flower Gardens and had to just get away from them to avoid their rude behavior. I too have just purchased my first UW camera and hope I never act like some I have seen.

soonerwink:
I concur I think every diver should have at least AOW or underwater photography specialty. Or at least 50 dives where by this time they should very very comfortable wth their diving skills.

I think there is no number or certification level that is a good indicator - I see divers of all experience and training levels. It's a very poor indicator for reality in too many instances.

People need to simply accept their own responsibility in the greater scheme of things - diving first, photography second. If diving isn't a comfortable thing for you in all aspects of the type you are doing, you are not ready to pick up a camera.

If you are confident and comfortable in your diving skills, and the skills are current, then carry the camera and if all is going well, shoot. Otherwise, concentrate on the important things and dive to shoot another day :)

Back
Top Bottom