Photography permits while diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tzetsin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi folks, I'm just getting into dive photography and was reading somewhere about having to get permits for underwater photography. Is this the norm, or only when i want to photograph certain species? Only in marine parks, or everywhere?

Jason

In Mexico, they require a fee if you are using a video camera, but no fee for photography. If your camera is primarily designed for photography and has video capability, there is no fee. In Cozumel, there is a marine park fee, for everyone, I think it was $2 per day.

The best thing to do is check with the dive op your using. They'll know the local regulations.

Ron

Hi folks, I'm just getting into dive photography and was reading somewhere about having to get permits for underwater photography. Is this the norm, or only when i want to photograph certain species? Only in marine parks, or everywhere?

Jason

In the United States, photography is protected under the 1st Amendment to the constitution. There are some very narrow, limited public safety exceptions, but unless you're taking photos of nuclear sub operations, the spillway at a waterfront prison, or the presidential yacht, you should be okay.

In Mexico, they require a fee if you are using a video camera, but no fee for photography. If your camera is primarily designed for photography and has video capability, there is no fee. In Cozumel, there is a marine park fee, for everyone, I think it was $2 per day.

The best thing to do is check with the dive op your using. They'll know the local regulations.

Ron

Where did you get this information? I've dove most of the major Mexican sites - Cancun, Puerto Morales, Playa del Carmen, Cozumel and various cenotes. I nearly always carry my Sanyo Xacti - it's a video camera with still capabilities. I've never heard the slightest suggestion that I should pay a fee for doing so. There is a fee (I don't honestly recall if it was $1 or $2 per day) but it applies to all the sites (other than the privately owned cenotes) not just Cozumel.

Only place I've seen anything like that was a small fee for photographers in some marine park in the Philippines. No place we've been in the Caribbean or anyplace else that I recall.

There was a post about it at wetpixel. The post made it seem like permits were a big important thing, and the post even had its own little spot, like it was important or something. I asked for clarification there, but the response i got back from the OP wasn't very clear.

I can understand Fees payed by everyone. I dive primarily in the phils, and pay the fees for the areas that require them, but every diver does, its not some extra charge for guys with cameras.

I should mention that my camera would be considered "pro" by anyones standard, its not a simple, or small unit. I'm not sure if perhaps that makes a difference? is there a pro photographers fee in places maybe?

I have never encountered photo or video permits. Kind of tough to enforce with the newer pocket sized cameras...
Maybe the OP can give a hint about where they found this info?

I think I remember an undercurrent article about some video divers being "taxed" by the local police as part of a shake down since they had more than 1 camera per person and hence where claimed to be professionals and so required a work permit. I believe it was some remote part of costa rica. I could be wrong.

I think I remember an undercurrent article about some video divers being "taxed" by the local police as part of a shake down since they had more than 1 camera per person and hence where claimed to be professionals and so required a work permit. I believe it was some remote part of costa rica. I could be wrong.

I have read that a similar shakedown happens in the Phillipines, but I've never encountered it in two trips there.

Where did you get this information? I've dove most of the major Mexican sites - Cancun, Puerto Morales, Playa del Carmen, Cozumel and various cenotes. I nearly always carry my Sanyo Xacti - it's a video camera with still capabilities. I've never heard the slightest suggestion that I should pay a fee for doing so. There is a fee (I don't honestly recall if it was $1 or $2 per day) but it applies to all the sites (other than the privately owned cenotes) not just Cozumel.

We were told this on a couple of shore exursions when we went to Tulum and some ruins near Costa Maya. I thought we were told this at Cozumel, but I could be mistaken. I went to Costa Maya and Coz on the same cruise. Still would be a good idea to ask, though.

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom