Photography during UV night diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hintermann

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am going to Bonaire next month and have arranged with VIP Divers to do a couple of UV night dives. I always take my underwater photography kit for dives and this includes twin strobes. So, what changes, if any, should I make while taking photographs during a UV night dive? How will the pictures look?

what changes, if any, should I make while taking photographs during a UV night dive? How will the pictures look?

Let me google that for you

From the second hit:
You'll need to attach blue 'excitation' filters on your strobe(s), or use very bright UV or deep blue lights, to stimulate fluorescence – removing green, yellow, and red wavelengths of white/visible light. (Note: blue light is believed to be more effective than UV light in exciting the fluorescent photoproteins, and therefore better for photography). A yellow 'barrier' filter on your camera lens or housing's port then blocks the excitation blue light, allowing green, yellow, orange, and red fluorescence to be recorded onto the camera's sensor. A yellow mask filter will allow you to see much more fluorescence than without one while scanning the reef with a blue spotting/focus light, but may not be needed on your mask when you're actually shooting. You'll need a bright blue focus light (such as the Nightsea Light & Motion SOLA, or Dryon Solaris UV lights), enabling you to focus on your subject – at night, with a darker yellow filter on your lens/port, it can be very difficult to see your subject clearly through the viewfinder and focus. Don't use a white focus light unless it's triggered to turn off instantly as you take a shot, as this will ruin your image. Special blue lights such as the Nightsea Light & Motion SOLA have different power settings which is useful, and can also have an attached phosphor filter to quickly convert it to normal white light for use as a primary dive light when needed. These special lights can be expensive though, so a cheaper option is to use a blue filter on a normal, powerful dive light.

If you slow your shutter speed down a lot and use a sola on spot mode with a yellow filter over your lens, you can take shots without needing the filters on your strobes, just turn them off. Of course the strobe filters will give you better shots but, either way you'll have a blast.

I did my first UV night dive lady weekend...Wow what an experience. Not only do I want to do it again and buy my own lights and filters I want to learn to shoot photos in UV. Thanks for the post.

BTW we saw a Stonefish in UV; it looked like something out of the old Predator movie. With the UV filters the fish looked red on a black background, under normal likes I could barely make him out until I saw an eye move.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom