Photography advice needed !!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mattockman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all

New to the site, but it came recommended. Dun 100+ dives. Off on a trip in Sep this year. I lost my camera a couple of months ago, and was thinking of replacing it with the Sony Cybershot DSC W200. (I will be using it as a general land camera as well). I am not a massive pictures person, but thought i'd try it on the forthcoming trip.

Wondering if any of you guys or gals out there with experience in underwater photography would be willing to spare me 2 minutes of your time. Just looking for some general advice when purchasing a camera (that will be used underwater as well). Anyone already using the Sony DSC W200? Buy it or avoid like the plague?

Any info would be more than welcome.

Clear waters

Mattockman :)

Welcome! Post down in the photographic forum and I'll bet you get more answers. I shot the Nikonos IV and a Sea nad Sea Motormarine II at first, then switched to a ReefMaster 3mp digital, and now have a Canon 20D wioth housing and strobes. I find strobes add to your ability to get the shot and the flexibility of the DSLR (lenses and such) really helps.

I can't address hte Sony DSC W200 as I have never used it. I tried out a Nikon Coolpix in a Fantasea housing, but after the housing leaked I have just kept to the Canon.

Mike

Long time Sony user for UW photos, that camera should be great. Amazing specs, 12 megapixels, wow!!!. The only possible issue I do not know about, does it use a touch screen and how will that work underwater.

mattockman:
Hi all

New to the site, but it came recommended. Dun 100+ dives. Off on a trip in Sep this year. I lost my camera a couple of months ago, and was thinking of replacing it with the Sony Cybershot DSC W200. (I will be using it as a general land camera as well). I am not a massive pictures person, but thought i'd try it on the forthcoming trip.

Wondering if any of you guys or gals out there with experience in underwater photography would be willing to spare me 2 minutes of your time. Just looking for some general advice when purchasing a camera (that will be used underwater as well). Anyone already using the Sony DSC W200? Buy it or avoid like the plague?

Any info would be more than welcome.

Clear waters
1st of all, I'm not familiar with this model, but ask susan6868 from here(SB), she just bought some kind of a Sony(new model) & it , compared (2 weeks ago in Little Cayman) to my Canon A570 did not do as good UW, no UW filter & not able to evaluate white balance...see some of my pics in my sig......If it can evaluate white balance, has full manuel settings, & has a built in UW filter, it ought to do OK......

BTW, I am an UW 35 mm'er since '95 & just 1 month ago went digital- was tired of everyone showing me their beautiful shots once getting back on the boat after a dive...lol.............

hahaha - suppose we all have to move with the timerss, eh ?

Cool pics by the way. Maybe Sony is not the way to go.

Apprec info.

I don't think it is touch screen. I know there is an undderwater casing. Thought i'd pick the brains of you experts first. Off to camera shop this eve for a discussion with them.

Thanks again

Don't let them sell you MPs :wink: MPs aren't the most essential thing when it comes to good images. And most camera stores will not have any clue whatsoever on what is best for underwater work.

Here's a mini-list:
- manual white balance control
- aperture control
- shutter speed control
- ISO control
- nice and close macro focus ability
- underwater housing available (www.digideep.com can get you started)

alcina:
Don't let them sell you MPs :wink: MPs aren't the most essential thing when it comes to good images. And most camera stores will not have any clue whatsoever on what is best for underwater work.

Here's a mini-list:
- manual white balance control
- aperture control
- shutter speed control
- ISO control
- nice and close macro focus ability
- underwater housing available (www.digideep.com can get you started)
Super info - thanks. Helps a lot

Back
Top Bottom