Photo "ownership" for competitions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spt29970

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I tried sending this to intlcomp@laups.org but it bounced due to an overquota error, so I decided to post it here and see if there is a consensus.

I have a great "self" portrait that I would like to enter in the LAUPS competition, but the question I have is about the role of assistants in image creation. For the image in question, I set up the camera, settings, and composition, but since I wanted to be in the image, I had an assistant hold the camera and press the shutter release. Is this image "mine" or his? Can I enter it or not? I understand that this is a gray region.

Considering circumstances you describe, I would say the image is yours. Since composition and exposure are all yours, and your assistant merely pulled the trigger (the human form of a remote shutter release) then the image is owned by you. Why even ask though? Is your assistant trying to claim ownership? Not familiar with the LAUPS rules, or how they would affect this one.

Although I agree that your assistant in this case was the human equivalent to a remote shutter release, you may want to get him to sign a small basic release to that end. Nothing major, but hey, ya never know!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom