Photo Gallery now contains EXIF Information Automatically!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ted S

SB Co-Founder
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One of the benefits of our recent server upgrade was the ability to automatically parse gallery photos for camera information technically called "exif data". This information includes basics such as what camera was used to take the photo upto advanced information like aperture and exposure settings. We have already updated our database to process this information from as many photos as possible and of course any new images uploaded will include this new information (if the photo was captured directly from a camera). This has been requested by many of our experience u/w photography users and I think it will make the gallery even more useful.

As an example check out the lower half of http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=209 for some EXIF data (and a nice photo).

Tech Admin:
One of the benefits of our recent server upgrade was the ability to automatically parse gallery photos for camera information technically called "exif data". This information includes basics such as what camera was used to take the photo upto advanced information like aperture and exposure settings. We have already updated our database to process this information from as many photos as possible and of course any new images uploaded will include this new information (if the photo was captured directly from a camera). This has been requested by many of our experience u/w photography users and I think it will make the gallery even more useful.

Just a suggestion (perhaps it's already in your to-do list) :
Photographs are often corrected using popular imaging software like Photoshop or Gimp, to correct their color levels, warmth and sometimes gamma corrections. These improved the image quality greatly and sometimes it's obvious from the gallery that an image has been "improved".

The EXIF records however is not updated when the corrected image is saved. Could I suggest that before uploading image to Scuba Board photo gallery, there's an option box (or a pulldown list of selections) for the users to choose on what type of adjustments made? For example :

- original, no adustment made
- automatic/manual color levels
- added red filter
- sharpening
- etcetera.

The rationale is, sometimes I ownder what sort of adjustments (and their settings) done on images - especially on images that look so nice and perfect :)

AFAIK, color adjustment is not uncommon among photograhers (above and below waters).

Just my 2 cents.

Thank you and regards.

Good idea, I will see what we can do for that?

FWIW - most images shot in digital are "corrected" in software. However, many don't receive much more than what a printer does for a print or what the camera adjusts automatically. That's one reason why many choose to shoot RAW - decisions that would otherwise be made by the camera are actually made by the photographer. To me, those sorts of manipulations aren't "creative" per se - they are simply done at a different stage of development.

Many photographers will identify when they have cloned things into an image, for example, as this is generally beyond what would be/could be done in a darkroom (though it certainly can be done there). I like when a photographer describes how an image was tweaked to perfection...not sure how that could be done on a drop down menu, though as there are so many choices!

A drop down list would have to be extensive to be of much use. Or it would have to be pared down - many contests allow what could reasonably be done in a darkroom (dodging, burning, exposure, colour correction etc), but exclude things like cloning etc.

Most photographers strive to get the very best information into their image at the time it is shot, but most photographers know that there is more to a great image than the capture - either in film or digital. Check out Ansel Adams for one of the greats - lots of his perfection was achieved through incredible use of the darkroom.

Why the post here? I like to know if an image has elements added. I always assume an image has some sharpening applied, for example (speaking of digital here). Some people let their cameras do this, others choose to do it themselves. Some people don't even realise their cameras are doing anything...but they are. Are these images going to be classed as "manipulated", too? Just thinking out loud here.

Perhaps the proper action would be to simply add a field saying "Photo Modifications & Enhancements" to which users can enter anything they feel appropriate in regards to the modifications they have made. It would be an optional field clearly, thus allowing users to skip out should they not wish to explain their changes or in the event they do not have any changes. How does that sound?

That'd be kinda neat. People could put a flow chart of their moves maybe or just a simple note.

I would also like a "rig used" section. Maybe this goes in the description? I would like to be able to see what camera people used and any lenses, strobes etc when I view the image. But that might be just too much.

Just another question, not really related to this thread:

When I go into a gallery now I don't get the most recent image first. I have to go to the bottom and select Upload date and Descending order and Sort. Otherwise I am getting images according to file name. That wasn't the default before, I don't think - I always saw the most recently added images first. Is there a setting I've messed up?

I thought that the camera used was in the Exif data. However the lenses and strobes/settings aren't of course.

Actually I think you are right. I just checked a couple of images in Photoshop and the Exif data is still there after editing in a PSD file - but not in the JPG's. I'm not sure if there is a way to save it with the JPG format (which the camera does) from Photoshop or not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom