Photo feedback wanted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mel.B

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

I'd really appreciate some feedback about these photos, what you think, how to improve them etc.

Also, I've got two Moray Eel pics...which one do you prefer?

Thanks,
Mel :)

(I realise this pic needs some photoshopping to remove backscatter etc)

Oh no... those are horrible... they just don't have "the essence." Christie's would never auction those.

Just kidding of course :) wow! Those are GREAT! What's your equipment? How do you get the focus so sharp?

I like 'em all.
I especially like the eel peeking out from amongst the urchins.
Thanks for sharing some great shots!
Rick

I wish my keepers were half that good. Very nice. Wish I could help with how to improve them, but wouldn't know where to start. Thanks for sharing!

Jet

Well, they look a touch overexposed. Suggest that u try bracketing the shots, ie adjust the output of the strobe so that u can see which one makes the best pic(take at least 3 with different strobe outputs). It is difficult to photo whites underwater as they tend to glare after adjustment (i have had plenty shots that i had to chuck due to overexposure of whites). Another method is to increase the shutter speed such that ambient light doesn't come so much into play (more for macro shots).

Good luck with the hobby... can't wait for my next trip...

I think the compositions are great, but agree they might be a little over exposed. I also think perhaps moving the strobe to point a little more outward would help with the backscatter and overexposure of what appears to be the front right of the images.

I love the first moray !!

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the feedback :)

I'm using an Oly 5050 with PT15. I don't have an external strobe (that's next on the purchase list!) so these are all taken with the internal flash. You've given me some great tips for when I get my strobe though.

Can I bracket the photos when I use P mode, or does that have to be in M mode. All of these were taken using P mode. I know I REALLY should learn to shoot in M mode, but I just get so confused!

Thanks,
Mel :)

I think they're all very nice!

I also think they could all stand just a bit more color saturation and perhaps more contrast as well. They feel a tiny bit washed out to me. Are you on a properly callibrated monitor. Although overexposer might be part of the issue I suspect you may be working on a monitor that needs to be adjusted slightly. Post shoot processing is useless you can trust what you're looking at on screen.

Here's a tool I use.
http://www.colorvision.com/profis/profis_view.jsp?id=101

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom