Photo editing program

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CheddarChick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have used Lightroom for years. It no longer is supported, and I hate the fact the new program is a monthly charge and you use their cloud... What is everybody using that supports Raw files and can do Sony and Oly raw files?

I use (and really like) ON1 Photo RAW 2022.

A few years ago, I made the decision to leave LR & PS too. I downloaded and tried most of the major editing software products that were available. I made use of the 30 day free trials of Capture One, Luminar, and ON1. Capture 1 Pro was incredibly powerful, but for me, that power came with a lot of complexity and cost. It was also very expensive unless you were getting the Sony specific version. I found Luminar to rely heavily on Artificial Intelligence, but this caused it to be very slow. The Apple "Beach Ball of Doom" spent a lot of time spinning as my computer was crunching the numbers following an adjustment. Then, I tried ON1.

I found ON1 was able to do almost everything that LR & PS could do, but all in one program. In addition to being a comprehensive RAW editor, ON1 also includes the ability to do Exposure Blending (HDR), Focus Stacking, Stitch Panoramas. It also has included in its most recent version, an outstanding noise reduction app. On top of all that, it offers discounts to Students, Teachers, First Responders, Military and Veterans.

Each piece of software has its pros and its cons. My suggestion would be to check the price to buy them and to download the free trial and to actually try them out for 30 days. Take an image that requires a lot of work and see which program meshes with your workflow (or even with the way your mind works) the best. Then, once you have tried them, purchase the one that you like the best if it fits in your budget.

None of these options will be perfect, but by trying them, you will find which option works best for you. For me, I like ON1, but you might find that a different option works best for you.

There are a zillion programs out there. DarkTable is quite good and free. Luminar is good and one time buy. If you want Photoshop like, there is GIMP. Many threads about that
BVA

Hi Rick, Hmmm so is it an pdf editor? Or a RAW or Jpeg picture editor?

Hi Rick again... Sorry must have clicked the wrong button, I see where the photo editor is now.

Affinity offers several programs. Photo competes with Adobe's Photoshop. Designer competes with Illustrator, and Publisher competes with InDesign.

Hmmmm, so far so good. I managed to develop 1 picture in a very short amount of time. Same kind of basics as Lightroom. I will keep playing with it. Thanks Rick for the heads up...

Affinity has a bunch of video tutorials available. There are a couple of things they do differently -- generally better -- than Adobe, so it's good to see how things work. One thing about Adobe is that many of their core programs were acquired rather than developed by them, so the interfaces are all over the place. With Affinity, once you learn the basics you can use any of the programs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom