Photo contest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seaworm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Have anyone won a photo contest? If so what were your prizes? Lastly do novice p&s ever really win compared to dslr users. I live in right on the great lakes, but looking at all the other pic how can I compete with that!!!!!

We run a photo contest on our Facebook Page every two weeks. While I haven’t asked any of the winners, based on the image quality, I have a feeling quite a few winners have been using P&S cameras. The prize so far has been to have your picture with your name added as the cover photo for two weeks. We’re about to change it up to make the prize a bit more exciting, but people seem to like it, we’ve had a lot of entries.

I’ve personally taken pictures using a P&S that people have actually purchased from me. While nicer equipment does have some advantages, composition is far more important than the equipment. That’s why most pro photographers will get annoyed if you respond to their awesome picture asking what equipment they use, it’s like saying they aren’t an artist and the camera took the picture :)

Guess I would have to ENTER contests to have a chance of winning them..
But as to will a DSLR take better pictures than a P&S - A good DSLR can produce higher quality files than a compact and it has advantages with regards to optics, but theres the saying that you cant polish a turd (which btw a disgusting Mythbusters ep. proved wrong) and that very much goes for photography.
You need to be handle the equipment correctly and a well handled p&s gives better results than a poorly handled DSLR.

I had a winning picture in the Monterey shoot-out this year and got a $500 gift cert. for camera gear. Often, novices or P & S shooters win top prizes which can be really nice trips and camera gear. NCUPS uses a point system, where the people who get the most points (more for 1st, less for 2nd, 3rd and add up your total for a max of 6 photos) get to choose first from an array of great prizes. You compete with your own level and a 1st place Novice get the same points as a 1st place advanced. I don't know how other contests are awarded.

Back
Top Bottom