Phillipine Live Aboard Recomendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nat104

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Planning a trip for 30th anniversary. Been all over the map, but now interested in Tubbataha. Looking at Expedition Fleet Oceanic Explorer in March 2010. Any comments RE timing, experience w/ Expedition Fleet +/- Oceanic Explorer in particular, alternative live aboard. We will be a group, approx 5+, very comfortable w/ drift, current. Love the 5-dive-a-day live aboard experience. I'm happy if I'm underwater, but whale sharks, manta, nudibranch, octupus, turtles, cuttlefish... also enjoyed.
Thank you so much for your assistance.
NAT

Hi Nat,

Unfortunately I can't give you the report yet but I'm already booked on one of the Expedition Fleet Tubbataha boats for March next year. The advice I got (from a few different people!) was to avoid the older boats if possible, other than that the only other bad thing I was advised against is trips can be canceled (at very short notice!) if a minimum number of passengers are not met, although I was told cancellation can still occur with 80% of the boat filled? - I did try to ask Expedition Fleet about this but didn't get any feedback so can comment if it's true or just a rumour?

Timing wise the best value option would be to go for the early March transition trip so you can include Apo reef on the same (well, slightly longer but same price!) trip - It will give you a drive to the live aboard location from Manila rather than a flight to Puerto Princessa - although you'll need to take an internal flight back to Manila for the return leg.

Other than that the only advise I can give is the Stella Maris does indeed seem the best boat in the Expedition Fleet Tubbataha itinerary, although it is the most expensive also.... I'll give you some feedback in March next year - although I think it would be a bit late by then :)

Karl

Hi Nat, I sent you a PM.

Phil

Planning a trip for 30th anniversary. Been all over the map, but now interested in Tubbataha. Looking at Expedition Fleet Oceanic Explorer in March 2010. Any comments RE timing, experience w/ Expedition Fleet +/- Oceanic Explorer in particular, alternative live aboard. We will be a group, approx 5+, very comfortable w/ drift, current. Love the 5-dive-a-day live aboard experience. I'm happy if I'm underwater, but whale sharks, manta, nudibranch, octupus, turtles, cuttlefish... also enjoyed.
Thank you so much for your assistance.
NAT

Karl,

I might be on the same boat as you. I am taking the Transition Trip from Anilao to Tubbataha. March 5 to 12, 2010. I will be on the Expedition Fleert's Pacific Explorer II.

Phil

Hi Nat,

Unfortunately I can't give you the report yet but I'm already booked on one of the Expedition Fleet Tubbataha boats for March next year. The advice I got (from a few different people!) was to avoid the older boats if possible, other than that the only other bad thing I was advised against is trips can be canceled (at very short notice!) if a minimum number of passengers are not met, although I was told cancellation can still occur with 80% of the boat filled? - I did try to ask Expedition Fleet about this but didn't get any feedback so can comment if it's true or just a rumour?

Timing wise the best value option would be to go for the early March transition trip so you can include Apo reef on the same (well, slightly longer but same price!) trip - It will give you a drive to the live aboard location from Manila rather than a flight to Puerto Princessa - although you'll need to take an internal flight back to Manila for the return leg.

Other than that the only advise I can give is the Stella Maris does indeed seem the best boat in the Expedition Fleet Tubbataha itinerary, although it is the most expensive also.... I'll give you some feedback in March next year - although I think it would be a bit late by then :)

Karl

Karl,

I might be on the same boat as you. I am taking the Transition Trip from Anilao to Tubbataha. March 5 to 12, 2010. I will be on the Expedition Fleert's Pacific Explorer II.

Phil

Hi Phil,

Sadly I couldn't get on the early transition trip :( There are two of us and the double suite rooms were all taken!

It's the 21st March trip on the Stella Marrie for us - counting down the days already!

Karl

Back
Top Bottom