Philippines - staying and scuba diving at the islands north or south of Cebu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,

Upcoming September we are visiting the Philippines for 11 days as a closure of our trip, which starts in Hong Kong and Cambodia. We plan on staying and scuba diving at the islands north or south of Cebu (we arrive and depart from Cebu Airport).

After some investigation we have narrowed it down to a list of a few Islands to visit. Diving with sharks being the primary reason of visiting the Philippines, Malapasqua is initially our first choice. We however do not plan to be diving the full 11 days, more 50/50. Does Malapasqua offer enough to also spend the other days that we are not diving?

Next to Malapasqua, other Islands that come highly recommended to us for diving are Apo, Balicasag, Siquijor. What would be a good (central) place/resort to stay from which those three dive spots can be reached? And is it possible to undertake some other activities over there than diving?

Thank you in advance for your advice!

Jeroen and Maaike

What kinda sharks???...If it's whalesharks, Cebu(Oslob) has em........

More pics--here..
https://www.flickr.com/photos/80825593@N08/sets/72157631839358126/

8117441341_c5be6d4e1f_z.jpg
[/URL]Betsy whaleshark by GEAUXtiger, on Flickr[/IMG]

Wow! Thanks for the tip! We are thinking to start in Malapasqua because of the thresher shark encounters. I thought swimming with whale sharks was only possible in Donsol (and that's a 24hr transfer). Oslob could be combined with a transfer tp Balicasag Islans (Bohol), if there is a ferry.

We stayed @ Turtle Bay Resort(Cebu) the 2nd 5 days we were in PIs---took an hour and a half to get to Oslob from resort(left @ 5 AM!!--was in the water around 7 to 7:30 AM).....That day there were 6 WSs, same number as day before(half our group went 2 different days--ie back to back)......remember our DM(from resort) telling me anywhere from 3 to 9 had shown up EVERY day, for the previous 13 months......Sounds like 'a guaranteed sighting(s)' to me...??

EDIT(just saw your part on the islands)...Dove Apo Island for 2 days during the 1st 5 days we were there---- from Negros ie Dumaguete, Pura Vida Resort.......,well worth it...Those pics here..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/80825593@N08/sets/72157631917831223/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/80825593@N08/sets/72157632051239971/

Last edited:
That indeed sounds like a must see! Your pictures are amazing by the way. Thanks for the tip on Oslob. If it takes you an hour and a half from Turtle Bay Dive Resort to Oslob, I am in doubt if starting the holiday in Malapasqua is the best choice, Oslob being a must. Is transportation from the north of Cebu to the south (Oslob) do-able on the island?

That indeed sounds like a must see! Your pictures are amazing by the way. Thanks for the tip on Oslob. If it takes you an hour and a half from Turtle Bay Dive Resort to Oslob, I am in doubt if starting the holiday in Malapasqua is the best choice, Oslob being a must. Is transportation from the north of Cebu to the south (Oslob) do-able on the island?

I have no idea about travel there---except it was an hour and a half from Moalboal(Turtle Bay Resort) to Oslob---and about ?3.5 hours from there to Cebu City Airport......Any other time we were in the resort eatin', sleepin', & divin'....:).....Should take 6 or 8????? hours if I'm seeing things on this map correctly??

http://www.malapascua.de/Cebu/CebuBohol_map-500x673-1.GIF

Maybe someone else can tell us if so........good luck..

Back
Top Bottom