Philippines question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisDur

Registered
Reaction score
I posted this in the "Philippines" section, but thought I might try here too.

Hi, I thoroughly enjoy this forum and have learned much. I know it's criminal, but my wife and I just like to snorkel. We've had great times in Australia, West Papua, Bali, and Malaysia. Now I'm looking into the Philippines. Basically, I'm looking for advice on what we like (simple family place to stay / easy access to coral / pleasant island). By "Family" I mean local people own it and not a big resort. We try when possible to add to the local economy. Anyway, I'd like advice from anyone who has stayed at that "Perfect" place with great underwater diversity a swim away and the owner's kids ready to kick a ball around. Nice breeze, decent food, and a mixture of marine life and local culture that makes you glad to recommend. No harm trying.

Sincerely,

Chris Durniak Chico, California

ChrisDur:

Hi, I thoroughly enjoy this forum and have learned much. I know it's criminal, but my wife and I just like to snorkel. We've had great times in Australia, West Papua, Bali, and Malaysia. Now I'm looking into the Philippines. Basically, I'm looking for advice on what we like (simple family place to stay / easy access to coral / pleasant island). By "Family" I mean local people own it and not a big resort. We try when possible to add to the local economy. Anyway, I'd like advice from anyone who has stayed at that "Perfect" place with great underwater diversity a swim away and the owner's kids ready to kick a ball around. Nice breeze, decent food, and a mixture of marine life and local culture that makes you glad to recommend. No harm trying.

Sincerely,

I liked Dudong's place in Camiguin. I don't know why his website is down, I sent him an email just a bit ago, but I spoke with him by phone last week. Great diving, one of hte better quality resorts and definately runs a safe operation. Turtles, Manderin Gobies, pgymy seahorses... great soft coral sites. If you have more questions or want to see pics send me a pm.

You can email him at
"Dudong Uy" <mantadive@philcom.ph>

Tell him Dave sent you.

Dear Chris,

If you snorkel, then you should head out to Anilao Batangas, about 2 hours car ride from Manila. Or, a bit further down from Anilao is Puerto Galera. Divers and snorkellers love these places. For Anilao, I can recommend Arthur's Place.
(Contact Lita 63-9193123938). Puerto Galera has many small resorts, you can just walk around and choose what you like. There are many coves, Small and Big lalaguna are pretty popular, so is White beach but sometimes there is an undertow in this particular beach. BTW aside from 2.5 car ride, you have to take a 45 min ferry to get to Puerto Galera.

ChrisDur:

Sincerely,

You ought to check Moalboal or Mactan in the province of Cebu. The former has spectacular reefs close to shore. Both places are kid friendly and a lot of mom and pop resorts. Hope this help.

Just a quick reaction to subzero's post - I am not sure whether I agree that Moalboal's reef immediately in front of the village is great for snorkelling. Its basically a wall (fun for night dives) and the shallow part of the beach has no much of interest, its were all the boat traffic is?The shallow coral garden on the North point of Pescador Island is fantastic for snorkelling, but that is a 30 min boatride out.

Haven't been to Mactan (other than landing there by plane) so cannot comment. Apo Island near Dumaguete on Negros should have some good snorkelling of its beaches, it is also the quintessential tropical paradise. Good place to chill out for a week or so.

My few comments, regards.

ChrisDur:

Sincerely,

Chris,

I just came back from the Philippines (Anilao and Galera). If you are just snorkelling I would recommend Anilao as there is virtually no boat traffic as opposed to Galera where they can barely get boats to shore!

If you do go to Puerto Galera I would stay at Oceana I think it would be more 'Family' oriented and away from Sabang's nightlife and boats..
I spent some time with the guys who run the operation and can't say enough about them and thier hospitality, although I did not stay there myself (when I go back I will). You may want to email them to find out what the snorkelling is like of their beach..

I also stayed at Solana Resort in Anilao, and that was heaven on earth they will take very good care of you and the food and accomodations are sensational to say the least. You will be happy snorkelling there too as there is much to see and only two/three boats to worry about :) there are also some black tip sharks to the right of the resort which you will have fun looking at.

If you want more info PM me..

Hey,
Thanks for the replies. Sorry to take so long. We spent April in Bali and I forgot about this posting of mine when we got back. Once again............thanks so much for all of your input.......Chris

Back
Top Bottom