Philippines- Is Tubbataha too difficult for a Novice diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, I’m going to the Philippines for a couple of weeks (mid March – mid May) and I’m hoping to get some diving in when I am over there. I’m a novice diver (PADI open water and SSI Advanced Adventurer) and I’ve completed about 15/20 dives (in Thailand and Australia) - the last one being about 4 years ago. I would really like to dive at Tubbataha reef as I have heard so much about it and I’ll be there when it is accessible.

My question is am I crazy for even thinking about diving Tubbataha considering my level of experience??? I’ll be doing a refresher course in Anilao and will get a few dives in before the live aboard. Ideally, I would have left this trip to the end of my time in the Philippines but I am stuck for dates that I can go and what availability is left on the live aboard (it coincides with the Easter holidays and most of the live aboards seem to be booked up for around this time). If I do go for it I was thinking about going with expedition fleet….

I’ve also checked out the various posts on this forum and have a good idea on other dive sites that are more suited for Novices, so I know I’ll get some good diving in regardless of weather I make it to Tubbataha; it just seems a shame to miss out on the experience if it is a possibility.

All advice/feedback welcome :D

So long as you don't have any buoyancy issues and can very well maintain your buoyancy at any given depth, has a dive computer to monitor your depth and stay within the no-decompression limits (since all the dives are no-deco and majority of which involves wall diving, the bottom of which are beyond recreational limits), and comfortable at drift diving, then you'll be able to dive tubbataha without much difficulty.

Most live aboard operators in that area recommend you have an Advanced OWD card. So it's good to check with them.

I think whats more important is that if youre travelling all that way you want good bottom time. If you do... then its worth it. But if your bottom time is compromised if say you havent got as good bouyancy and being able to manage currents and drift diving etc then you may not enjoy your dives as much. When I first started out I went to Sipadan with only 25 dives under my belt some time ago but I was well into diving regularly as I clocked most of the 25 dives after my OW in about 2 months before going there. As a result bottom time was good, and I managed the currents well (sheesh some strong current underneath seaventures!) As a result it was a great trip!

Without having been, I must say I agree it's more about how comfortable you are underwater and good with buoyancy skills... I'm sure with a good DM, even with little experience, you can make the dives despite them being renown for strong and varying currents... But the question is, if you are struggling/ concentrating dealing with the currents and buoyancy... Are you taking full advantage of the marine life and dive? Probably not! You would probably profit more of a land based opperation which is: 1 less expensive, 2- has some easier dives (so you can really enjoy yourself and the dive) and 3- almost just as good marine life to see...

What you want to do is up to you... But I honnestly think you'd have a better time (and pay less) at a good land based destination. And some of them in the Philippines are really great... Then when you rack up more experience and feel comfortable in advanced dives, save up to return and do the liveaboard...

Just my 0.02$:coffee:

Hi, I just returned from Tubbataha 2 weeks ago and although it would be better to be advanced for this trip, I agree that if you are comfortable with your buoyancy and drift diving you should be absolutely fine. The currents when we were there were pretty much non-existent although obviously that can change. I would strongly recommend the refresher and a few relaxing check out dives first but I can't see that just having OW should stop you. I am an instructor so can judge the dive sites for suitability and would have been quite happy to take an OW on all the dives we did. One other consideration would be to do your advanced on the boat. You would most likely get one on one supervision whilst doing the course and that could put you at ease during the first few days. If you need anything else email me on jo@cia.com.ph quite happy to help. I work for Expedition fleet so I do know a little about whats going on and how to help you get the best from your trip.
ps - don't mind if you just want general info and decide not to go on the boat - maybe can put you in touch with some local land based operators. Just want more people to come to the Philippines it's such a great place!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom