Philippines, Here we come. Need info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pitri

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,
My wife and I finally decided that our next dive vacation will be at the Philippines.
I have so many questions, so I'll start with the big ones:
1. Is there a season of the year for each Island ? we are coming in mid September. any prefered location we should stick by ?
2. Continuing my last question, given the prefered islands, which areas are best for diving ? We like the small stuff and the big stuff so if you can mention what to expect it would be great.
3. What are the costs for diving ? (should I bring my equipment from home ?)
4. What is the Typhon season ? I don't like them

Thanks

There will be a lot more PPD that will help but I'm going back in September for the third time this year. I'll be diving Puerto Galera and Anilao and one other spot that I have not decided on yet. They are mostly Macro spots but terrific dive areas.

I alwqays carry my own equipment.

I was there in May, just after the last Typhoon Caloy and there were power problems for a few days but the resorts all have back up generators.

Diving is very inexpensive, I'm usually on an unlimited dive plan but I think dives can be as cheap as $14 US.

The people of the Philippines are wonderful and I have felt very welcome and safe on every trip. The PPD will even dive with you depending where you decide to go. All great divers and fantastic people.

Some photos from my last trip are here... http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=147109

pitri:
1. Is there a season of the year for each Island ? we are coming in mid September. any prefered location we should stick by ?
generally the Philippines is categorized into three segments based on typhoon incidence and probability.

it is termed High, medium and low Tensions.

Tension being based on probability and severity of typhoon hits.

Luzon is high Tension (Regular Typhoon Hits)
Visayas is Medium Tension (occasional Typhoon hits)
Mindanao is Low tension (few typhoon hits)

pitri:
2. ...We like the small stuff and the big stuff so if you can mention what to expect it would be great.

from late july to November the wind comes from the south west, termed "habagat" (but the term habagat means wind coming from sea to land as opposed to Amihan-wind from land to sea)

so generally the west side of the philippines will experience SUrfs , surfing is now up at the northwest side and in areas like Bagasbas (Daet, Camarines Norte-Bicol region) during typhoon from the South East. Siargao is almost year round surfs

pitri:

if you are comfortable renting, just rent as it is a bother to be transfering your gear from area to area here.

pitri:
4. What is the Typhon season ? I don't like them, Thanks

Welcome to the Philipipnes where we have Typhoons from June to November (jonix extends it to December) this is the time where we may expect typhoon entering the Philippine Area of Responsibility (PAR) around three times per month. During El Nino it is less than LA Nina times.

Diver Dennis:
The people of the Philippines are wonderful and I have felt very welcome and safe on every trip. The PPD will even dive with you depending where you decide to go. All great divers and fantastic people.

hmmmm...... sige na nga :D... (i'll let it go this time:D)

Welcome to ppd....No worry!
PPD members very enthusiasm

So, PAOLOV let me see if I understand you correctly.
If i'm coming in September I should stick to Visayas and leave all the west side alone(palawan and north) ?

In general, how is the current and visability in the Visayas ?

pitri:
So, PAOLOV let me see if I understand you correctly.
If i'm coming in September I should stick to Visayas and leave all the west side alone(palawan and north) ?

In general, how is the current and visability in the Visayas ?
visayas has excellent diving... most guys here will tell you to head for bohol (clgsamson has good info on resorts and stuff)

you can also do cebu for malapascua or moalboal

if you're up to a bit of adventure you can do camiguin and cagayan de oro - that's in mindanao but the north edge so it's the border between visayas regions and mindanao

hope this helps and welcome to the PPD!

Jag

pitri:
Hi All,
My wife and I finally decided that our next dive vacation will be at the Philippines.
I have so many questions, so I'll start with the big ones:
2. Continuing my last question, given the prefered islands, which areas are best for diving ? We like the small stuff and the big stuff so if you can mention what to expect it would be great.
4. What is the Typhon season ? I don't like them

Thanks
i would recommend you bring your own equipment (regs, bc, etc.)

leave the tanks and weights at home - there's more than enough available here

Jag

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom