Phil Dive Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

midwestdvr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi, all. Just returned from the phil. Was planning to dive in boracay but nixed that idea instead. Instead, dove in the province of romblon and had a blast. Dive sites were good but didn't get to dive all of them since I ran out of time. The greatest thing about it was that I was able to dive the same sites 3-4 times. There really wasn't an abundance of big fish but lots of little ones. Not too friendly though since there aren't too many divers in the area. Either that or they thought I was a compressor diver. So, if you don't mind roughin it out a little bit, romblon could be a nice place to make a couple of dives or more.

Anyway, I loved my trip so much that I'm planning to go back again either this year or early next year. Finally had enough mileage to get a free ticket. Will dive romblon again but am looking for other sites in the phil. This time around I'll make it to anilao for sure since it's easily accesible from both manila and romblon (ferry to batangas). Any other sites that is appropriate for a fairly new diver? Right now I have only 20 dives but am planning to get aow this summer. thanks.

midwestdvr

midwestdvr:
Any other sites that is appropriate for a fairly new diver? Right now I have only 20 dives but am planning to get aow this summer. thanks.

midwestdvr

Hi MidWestDvr

Have only been in the Visayas myself (fly into Cebu and boat / bus it from there, very do-able) and think it is absolutely amazing. Numerous places to dive (I dove Moalboal - Apo -Sigijor - Alona Beach - S. Leyte - Malapasqua in three weeks), each with its own merits. Loved it. Just posted a long reply to query by frogfish, it is still on the first page on the forum. Let me know if you require further input, will be happy to provide more details. Have fun, regards,

Arjan

I just returned from five weeks on Palawan. The first four weeks were for business, but the last week I reserved for diving. Can you believe it, I got some kind of nasty lower respiratory infection with pleuritic chest pain, terrible cough, the works. I couldn't even snorkel!! We were on this little tropical island with an absolutely gorgeous reef. And I had all new equipment I hadn't even tried out yet! Finally the last morning before we left, I went diving anyway. I think I'm paying for it now, but it was a great dive! And my equipment was great.

Anyway, for anyone thinking of diving Philippines, Palawan has some lovely, unspoiled spots. It's off the beaten track, and there's a current in the Sulu Sea that brings a lot of sealife. Huge cuttlefish, manta rays, eels, turtles, and an incredible array of corals, soft corals, fish, and invertebrates. Accommodations are good (and cheap), and the meals are delicious. Most places can cook vegetarian. Let me know if you want specific recommendations.

I'm thinking of organizing a liveaboard group to Tubbataha Reef for April 2005. This is one of the world heritage sites, and one of the few truly protected reefs still existent in the world. I've heard that it is fabulous. If you're interested, let me know. I can help you with the travel arrangements--I've been to Palawan quite a few times.

Hello,

Romblon province is quite big consisting of 5 islands (Tablas-the biggest, Sibuyan, MaestreCampo, Carabao and ROmblon) ......I frequent Puro Island (www.puro-island-philippines.com) on the southeastern tip of Tablas, 25 kms north of Boracay......I have been going there every 3 months for the past 2 two years.... great escape, great diving ...

Where exactly in the province did you dive? :)

eric

midwestdvr:
Hi, all. Just returned from the phil. Was planning to dive in boracay but nixed that idea instead. Instead, dove in the province of romblon and had a blast. Dive sites were good but didn't get to dive all of them since I ran out of time. The greatest thing about it was that I was able to dive the same sites 3-4 times. There really wasn't an abundance of big fish but lots of little ones. Not too friendly though since there aren't too many divers in the area. Either that or they thought I was a compressor diver. So, if you don't mind roughin it out a little bit, romblon could be a nice place to make a couple of dives or more.

Anyway, I loved my trip so much that I'm planning to go back again either this year or early next year. Finally had enough mileage to get a free ticket. Will dive romblon again but am looking for other sites in the phil. This time around I'll make it to anilao for sure since it's easily accesible from both manila and romblon (ferry to batangas). Any other sites that is appropriate for a fairly new diver? Right now I have only 20 dives but am planning to get aow this summer. thanks.

midwestdvr

love2godeep:
Anyway, for anyone thinking of diving Philippines, Palawan has some lovely, unspoiled spots. It's off the beaten track, and there's a current in the Sulu Sea that brings a lot of sealife. Huge cuttlefish, manta rays, eels, turtles, and an incredible array of corals, soft corals, fish, and invertebrates. Accommodations are good (and cheap), and the meals are delicious. Most places can cook vegetarian. Let me know if you want specific recommendations.

I would be happy to hear of your favorite spots in Palawan as I will be spending some time there during the next month diving and exploring. Not wanting to hijack the thread so just looking for basic info that might also be of interest to midwestdvr.

Kupu:
I would be happy to hear of your favorite spots in Palawan as I will be spending some time there during the next month diving and exploring. Not wanting to hijack the thread so just looking for basic info that might also be of interest to midwestdvr.
No worries Kupu - this thread is less than 2 years old and Midwest just came back from another trip here!

You can post this question in the Philippine Paradise Forum and they'll give you some more ideas. Where will you be in Palawan? In the Puerto Princesa area?

Thanks for the heads up chip, I didn't think to check the thread date since it showed up on the new posts list.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom