Phi Phi Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mgross2

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello. I just joined this site (ScubaBoard). I have dove the Phuket local Islands several times over the last couple of years, I've always done so via local boats- ie. Shark Point, Anenome Reef, Koh Dok Mai, Raya Yai, etc. I typically hire a local guide and join one of the cattle boats. I have never hit Phi Phi Island and understand it's a great location. So here's the question(s):
I can either work out of patong or one of the local beach communities or arrange a speed boat to hit some of the phi phi dive sites and return to patong, or set up a stay on phi phi.

If I decide on staying on PHI Phi for a few days, I need to pick a hotel. I see that Holiday inn has a place on the island(it's the only name I know). Anyone have any input on the Holiday Inn, or can you recommend another location? Preferably on the beach close to dive boats and hopefully some beach dive opportunities.

Hi and welcome,

Hiring your own speedboat from Phuket to dive at Phi Phi can be very expensive. I would stay on the island as the dive sites are a short trip away on one of the many daytrip boats.

The main pier on Phi Phi Don is in Ton Sai Bay. The ferries and dive boats dock here. Most of the dive sites, including the Bida Islands and Phi Phi Ley, are about 30 minutes away. Ton Sai Bay has many hotels and bungalows, restaurants and quite a few dive shops to choose from.

The Holiday Inn is on Laem Tong Beach which is about 45 minutes away from Ton Sai Bay on a long tail boat.

Have a look at our Phi Phi diving video to whet your appetite.

The Holiday Inn has its own dive center, so there's no need to get a longtail boat over to Ton Sai to one of the dive shops in the village, of which there are many to choose among. If you opt to stay in the village, the accommodations tend towards budget-level since that's where the young people stay in order to get to the various bars and beach parties.

I generally recommend deciding on the accommodations first, and then look at the availability of diving through the resort's dive center. The Holiday Inn is comfortable and well-regarded.

You can also get daytrips to Phi Phi from Phuket. The ones I like best offer 3 dives in the day, which helps to break up the long boat ride between Phuket and Phi Phi. I avoid going to Phi Phi on a two-tank trip, unless it's by way of a speedboat. There are a couple of speedboat charters that you can book space on as a join-in customer, too. For either of these options, it's easy to get a private DM to go along with you.

There is a wide variety of accomodation to suit all budgets in Ton Sai Village area of Phi Phi - try Cabana Hotel.

I generally recommend staying in the village unless you are on your honeymoon as you will have a great selection of restaurants, beaches, activities, evening entertainment and dive shops.

You can do daytrips from Phuket to dive at Phi Phi but you are looking at three hours or more extra travelling on the boat. If you plan to spend a few days diving around Phi Phi maybe staying on the island would optimize your time.

My preference is an overnight to Phi-Phi, and I almost exclusively go with Poseidon Diving they have setup shop at Evason. Several plus points ++ DM to divers ratio really good ++ at most 8-10 divers on large boat ++ all inclusive packages Klaus the owner will get rooms etc in Phi-Phi ++ 2 dives each way so very leisurely

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom