Phi Phi and somewhere else for mid-August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jjjjeremy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hey all,

My girlfriend and I have a couple weeks in southeast Asia (via Bangkok or Singapore), and we're planning to dive Phi Phi and visit a few other places in the area. Any recommendations?

Diving in the Samui archipelago should be at it's best that time of the year, although the weather hasn't been fully supportive yet.

Yips on things to see or do in Thailand are almost limitless, maybe easier to respond to if you give a few hints of what you like to see, like nature, cities, temples etc.

jjj, Yes, the Gulf of Thailand is an obvious second destination for diving and beach time. Or if you are coming in through S'pore, you might consider a week on Bali and another at Phi Phi. If you want land-based visits, well, if you enter through Bangkok, that's a no-brainer. Everybody should see Bangkok once (and once may be enough, but still). Tons of stuff to do there. And of course Thailand's second major tourist area away from Bangkok (in addition to the Phuket area) is Chiang Mai. Culture, handicrafts, scenery--that area is a treasure.

Thanks for all the info! Looks like things have been pushed back until late September. We initially planned for August to take advantage of the low tourist season. Are there any differences for September?

Phi Phi and Samui would be great choices for your dive destinations and cheap and easy to get between the two. Phi Phi the diving is cheap and easily accessible, you can be back on the beach just after lunch time and if there is enough demand you may be able to go out in the afternoon and do a couple more dives. If you go to Samui try to schedule Sail Rock (my favourite) and Chumphon Pinnacle. A great trip that would be convenient from these areas would be Khao Sok National Park, it's only a few hours by bus from Surat Thani (Samui ferry) and it's a stunning place. Though it is a rainforest and it's rainy season so expect to get damp :). I would also agree with Quero's suggestion of a week in Bali, the diving is a slightly higher standard and it's a stunning island.

Bali looks promising. My grandfather was born in Indonesia, and I'd like to take the chance to set foot on one of my ancestral countries if I have the chance. What would a travel look like? I'm unfamiliar with the transportation hubs in the area. Singapore is right between Phi Phi and Bali, and I'd rather not spend time backtracking. Thanks!

---------- Post added August 21st, 2013 at 01:34 PM ----------

argh, Bali is out of the picture now, and Cambodia is in, flying through BKK. So now the question is whether to get down to Phi Phi or dive in the Gulf of Thailand. I've heard mixed messages about diving in the Gulf vs. the Andaman. As a Californian diver I'm sure I'll feel blessed with more than 10 feet of visibility and temps warmer than 50 degrees wherever I am. Any thoughts? I'm guessing Koh Samui?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom