Petrel hardware versions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr. Lecter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I bought a new Petrel back when they were first released, and recently bought another new one to replace my Predator. I've noticed a couple differences between the two units, mainly that the newer one has a second hole drilled into the derlin body, seemingly to enhance drainage from the ambient sensor, and also has a QR/barcode sticker on the underside.

Just curious what other hardware evolutions have made it into the Petrel since release? Thanks for making a great computer!

Hi Dr. Lecter,

I am glad you are liking the Petrel. Other than the differences you have pointed out and some minor adjustments to assembly processes, the hardware is almost unchanged from the early units. The firmware has been updated a few times. You can always downloaded the latest version of firmware from here:
Petrel Downloads | Dive Computer Firmware & User ManualShearwater Research

Best regards,
Tyler Coen
Shearwater Research

Thanks much, Tyler. Can you say what the purpose of the QR decal on the new ones is? Just a faster SN scan or is there more data on it?

Thanks much, Tyler. Can you say what the purpose of the QR decal on the new ones is? Just a faster SN scan or is there more data on it?

Hi Dr. Lecter.

The QR decal is just for scanning during packaging and shipping. No more information than the serial number.

Best regards,
Tyler Coen
Shearwater Research

Back
Top Bottom