Petrel Compass Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divetech99

Contributor
Reaction score
So I calibrated the Petrel compass, declination set to zero. After a few minutes, reading is off. So, calibrated again. Reading is ok. After a few min, reading is off again. Has anyone encountered this?

- Compared it with reading from a Suunto sk8 mechanical compass. Suunto worn on left wrist. Petrel on right wrist.

- No metal interference around. Suunto is not near the Petrel when taking a reading.

- Calibration done per manual and video - moving it in all directions.

First noticed incorrect Petrel reading underwater in a familiar area. This was after calibrating it on land. Checked it again topside. Still got Incorrect reading until calibrated once more. Then it'll give incorrect reading after a few min. Suunto sk8 gave consistent reading throughout.

Petrel is a Version 29. Petrel 2.

I've found the support e-mail on their website is a faster way to get a response.

If there's an issue with the compass module, you'll probably have to send it off for replacement. I had an issue with a depth sensor in a Predator, turn around was super quick.

So I calibrated the Petrel compass, declination set to zero. After a few minutes, reading is off. So, calibrated again. Reading is ok. After a few min, reading is off again. Has anyone encountered this?

Declination = zero? Are you sure about this? Better check.

NCEI Geomagnetic Calculators

---------- Post added November 16th, 2015 at 11:46 AM ----------

For example, my declination in Arizona is 9° 41' E.

Yes I would also question O degrees magnetic declination? In most parts of the world its usually always more than O degrees

how far off from the mechanical is it? and, what is the geographic adjustment (declination) on a properly calibrated compass for where you are?

FOr where I live;

Melbourne Victoria
Latitude: 37° 48' 50.4" S
Longitude: 144° 57' 48" E
Magnetic declination: +11° 35'
Declination is POSITIVE (EAST)
Inclination: 68° 43'
Magnetic field strength: 60003.6 nT

Unless you're using the compass with a map, declination isn't relevant. Might as well set it to zero as anything else.

While that may be technically true, if you are following directions underwater (like a nav course), one should always be on a calibrated compass.

While that may be technically true, if you are following directions underwater (like a nav course), one should always be on a calibrated compass.
Agreed. You've got to set the declination to something when you calibrate it, why not set it to the right number rather than to the wrong number?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Setting declination will give you true north. Setting it to zero will give you magnetic north, same as a mechanical compass.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom