Petrel Bungee thingy...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

undrwater

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Took delivery of a Petrel, but did not receive the bungee attachment points in the box. Have read here and elsewhere that the stock ones don't seem robust enough. Has anyone come up with alternatives, or is there a way I can get the stock ones anyway?

Kydex is a good alternative if you have some. Write SW an email and I've no doubt they'll send you some of the proper ones right away.

We stopped shipping the Petrel bungee adapters as we were not happy with the quality and were receiving complaints of them breaking or the bungee pulling through the holes. We cannot reinforce the holes in the same manner as we did for the Predator adapters because the adapter then doesn't fit through the slots.

We have not investigated an alternative because threading the bungee cord through the slots seems to be the best solution.

Lynn

Lynn, any chance you could post a photo of what you mean? I recently bought two predators. Mine came with the adapters but if they're prone to breaking, I'd like to rig it up the better way.

I thought the bungee adaptors looked a bit too delicate. An alternative is to use some thin nylon or similar webbing and melt holes in the end for bungee. I would suggest two holes at either end then fold the webbing over and thread the bungee through both holes to give some redundency in case you manage to pull the bungee through the melted hole. The melted plastic around the holes should be enough reinforcement however, although you could use some aquaseal to strengthen it furhter.

Having said that I am pretty happy with the standard straps on the petrel, but use bungee in combination with the standard straps on the heavier predator which seems more prone to moving around.

Hi Kelemvor,

Predator bungee adapter holes are reinforced with a stainless steel grommet. Those are fine and work well. Because the Petrel has strap slots integrated into the case, we had to source a thinner material and could not reinforce the holes because of the size of the strap slots. It turned out this material was not as durable as promised, or expected.

Lynn

Before I mounted the bungee on my Petrel I went to Home Depot and got some stainless washers just big enough for the bungee to slide through. Several hundred dives later I haven't had a problem. I know alot of people that get a Dive Rite wrist slate and mount their Petrel to that. Works good and the slate can still be used.

Knock on wood...I have yet to experience any failure with my Petrel straps from the manufacture.

Is this something I need to watch for?

Approximately 50 dives on the Petrel, but expect 200-400 dives this next year.

---------- Post added May 10th, 2014 at 09:21 PM ----------

Lynn,

What "Manufacture" do you represent? Your signature block is blank, so I have no idea if you speak for Shearwater or a secondary accessory manufacture. It would help but your responds into context...

Oldbear

I like the idea with the webbing. I'm going to try this, and post pics if it's successful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom