Petrel battery cover

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buddhasummer

Down under...
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I'm wondering about the battery cover on the petrel, can someone tell me what material the cover, looks like metal, and the case, looks like plastic, where it screws into is made of. More specifically I'm wondering if it's a metal to metal thread or metal to plastic. Hope that makes sense. Cheers.

I think the battery compartment cap is made of Delrin. I'll have to check mine to be sure but that's what my memory says.

Derlin, like the rest of it.

Thanks for the replies. My last computer had a metal battery lid but the case was plastic so I was always worried about the possibility of stripping the threads. Cheers.

buddhasummer: The battery cap and case are both Delrin. I have never heard of threads stripping on a Petrel.

Pao:

The battery compartment is isolated from the case to prevent incidental moisture ingress to the electronics, during a battery change with moist hands for example. (Note: this was not always true, so depending on when your unit was manufactured it may not have this feature) (Note: even with currently manufactured Petrels, the seal between the battery compartment and the electronics will NOT seal against water pressure of any kind, aka do not dive without a battery cap).

Changing the battery cap o-ring periodically is a good idea. Nitrite o-rings can deteriorate over time due to ozone exposure (which naturally occurs in small amounts). You shouldn't need to replace your o-ring more than once a year, if that. The o-ring is size 112.

buddhasummer: The battery cap and case are both Delrin. I have never heard of threads stripping on a Petrel.Pao: The battery compartment is isolated from the case to prevent incidental moisture ingress to the electronics, during a battery change with moist hands for example. (Note: this was not always true, so depending on when your unit was manufactured it may not have this feature) (Note: even with currently manufactured Petrels, the seal between the battery compartment and the electronics will NOT seal against water pressure of any kind, aka do not dive without a battery cap).Changing the battery cap o-ring periodically is a good idea. Nitrite o-rings can deteriorate over time due to ozone exposure (which naturally occurs in small amounts). You shouldn't need to replace your o-ring more than once a year, if that. The o-ring is size 112.
Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom