Petrel Battery Choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BFRedrocks

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am a brand new Petrel 2 owner (haven't even gotten it wet yet) and was interested in experienced users' choice of battery. Mine came with a standard alkaline battery, but I am interested in the SAFT LS14500 because Shearwater reports up to 90 some-odd hours for that battery versus the 35 hours or so for the alkaline. One downside to the SAFT as reported by Shearwater is that the "Fuel Gauge” feature only shows Full, Low, or Critical, versus showing a full range of "life" for an alkaline battery.

Anyway, I've read Shearwater's very useful FAQ on this, but I was just curious about what is the majority of folks' battery of choice for the Petrel?

I use regular "AA" batteries...they are cheap and reliable. I keep a few with me in my save a dive kit. In the winter, when the water is in the 30's I switch over to the Saft since they are much more reliable in really cold temperatures.

I just use the regulars batteries also just carry some with you and replace when needed

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I use "nice" AA batteries in mine.....mostly Duracell. I also keep some cheap ones (like 6 Kodaks) in my dive box. $/hour, nothing beats an alkaline AA. I recently bought a big thing of Eneloop rechargeables, and i'm wondering if a pair of those plus my normal stash of cheap alkalines wouldn't be the best all-around option.

I have a set of eneloops that I use for one of my backup lights *takes 3*, and the 4th is for the Petrel. Backup light gets used on the way out of some caves so the batteries are all cycling. I wouldn't bother with Saft, read the Petrel battery FAQ, the cost/hour is cheaper on standard AA's unless you have rechargeables already in which case I'd use those and change them out regularly.

I have a set of eneloops that I use for one of my backup lights *takes 3*, and the 4th is for the Petrel. Backup light gets used on the way out of some caves so the batteries are all cycling. I wouldn't bother with Saft, read the Petrel battery FAQ, the cost/hour is cheaper on standard AA's unless you have rechargeables already in which case I'd use those and change them out regularly.

I agree with you and based on others' responses, it seems like the normal alkaline batteries are the best. On the SAFT cost/hour, I noticed that prices on Amazon are a lot less than what Shearwater uses for their calc, which makes the SAFT battery actually just as cost-effective as the alkalines. Regardless, I think there are other valid reasons for using good 'ol alkalines anyway.

it is one of those "which is most convenient" vs cost/hour of use. For most people that is either nimh AA's or regular alkalines, the Petrel doesn't particularly care what you put in it so unless you're ice diving you won't see any performance differences, so use what you have....

In cold water I use AA Lithiums as they last a lot longer than Alkalines (cold water drains the Alkaline quickly). In warmer water AA Alkalines are fine.

Yup, mine came a standard battery. After I deplete the alkaline battery, I'll use an Orbtronics 14500 3.7V rechargeable Lithium Ion battery. I get pretty good range from it, although probably not as long as the Saft battery.

At least, I don't have to keep buying AA batteries.

O.

I keep regular Alkalines in my box, for when the Saft runs out. Safts have gotten so cheap that the long run time offsets the hassle, at least locally, plus I have them for my VR3 and some others.

Back
Top Bottom