Petrel 2 ascent speed indicator issue (V34)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vixtor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have also sent a message to Shearwater's support, but I thought to ask here in case somebody else noticed this.

After updating my unit to V34, I have noticed that the ascent speed indicator is not working correctly anymore. The unit is used in OC/Tec mode, in Metric. Knowing they made a change to the units (to have temperature as an independent setting) I am thinking this could be related to the change in somehow.

Anyway, during my last 2 dives (with the new V34) I have noticed that during the ascent I was seeing no white arrow (as I did in the past). I have increased my ascent speed, and right around ~9-10m/min (as shown by my backup Vyper Air) I got a full stack of 6 white arrows. Increasing the speed more I got a full stack of 6 yellow arrows. In the past, 1-3 arrows were white, 4-5 were yellow and 6 arrows would have been red (and I didn't had the speed for red anyway).

If the ascent was slow (like 3-6m/min) I was getting no arrow on the display.

Have you noticed the same behaviour? If not (and you use imperial) could you switch to metric and see if you can confirm it?

Do you know if there's any way to downgrade to V33 until the issue is fixed?

I have already got a reply from Shearwater's support. It seems the ascent speed indicator is a known bug of V34, so if it matters to you, don't upgrade.

They have sent me the V33 firmware, the downgrade is very easy: you just double-click on the firmware file, and the Desktop application opens and sends it to the computer.

I was impressed by the response time the second time (when I have asked about the downgrade procedure, not thinking it's that easy). I got the reply in just 4 minutes.

Thanks a lot for the feed back.

I just upgraded to V34 but didn't notice any difference. I have a Perdix which uses the same firmware. Thanks for the information. I'll check for a firmware update.

It seems a new version (V37) is out, correcting this bug. With a little luck and some good weather, I hope to test it this week-end.

Thanks! I checked yesterday and it had not yet come out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom