Petrel 1 Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pullnglide

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Did 2 hours in HITW this morning. OC Tec mode. Everytime I glanced to check my depth there was a 2' difference between both computers, both Petrel 1. There has never been a depth difference between the 2 of them. About the 75 min mark I was hanging at the line while a buddy checked out a lead. I check both computers and still the 2' depth difference but now 1 computer says I have a 31 min stop at 20' and the other says I only have 13 mins at 20'. The one with 31 mins was also tacking on more time rapidly so I knew it was wrong. I checked to make sure the o2 option was turned on and it was. My buddy compared my deco numbers with his and we both agreed that the computer showing considerably more time had malfunctioned. We scootered back to the exit and I stop at 30' for 1 min. When I get to 20' the one that was showing 18 more min than the other is now showing 4 mins less than the other. It was also showing I was at 18' but I was at 20' according to my other Petrel and my buddies so naturally it was pissed and flashed red the whole time. I just put a brand new SAFT battery in it 2 weeks ago so that's not the problem. I will contact Shearwater this week but anyone have anything like this happen with their Petrel?

The top computer is the one that malfunctioned. The cave went up to 40' depth on one of the jumps as it seems to have cleared deco while the other one didn't and it also went into deco awhile after the other. It should not have cleared deco that quickly as I'd been at 90'-100' for a considerable amount of time. Also notice the 2' difference and the 2 min dive time difference. These computers have done 86 dives together and I've never had a problem. Luckily Shearwater has an excellent reputation for customer service!
image.jpeg

I can't speak to the Shearwater specifically, but before I had my Petral I dove with two Apeks Quantums. They were always out of sync by a couple of feet at depth, but matched at 20' and up (which was the important bit I figured). As a result of the small difference, I would have different profiles, so I just defaulted to the more conservative one.

With the Petral, I still wear one of the Quantums, but I keep it in gauge mode since they were miles apart.

It will be interesting to hear what SW says!

Sent diagnostics to SW and they've concluded the surface pressures were different (1078mbar vs 1012mbar) causing the difference in the 2 computers. I needed to update the firmware on one of them and after doing that the problem was fixed. First time I've dealt with SW customer service and it lives up to the reputation, absolutely stellar!!

Reactions: Jax
That was easy How was the vis?

Could have been better. Ranged from 15'-30'. Also a lot of temp variation throughout the cave ranging from 64-69 degrees.

Reactions: Jax
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom