Petition for permission to cull kelp-destroying sea urchins in Monterey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wouldn't it be great if the predators on sea urchins were present in sufficient numbers so culling wouldn't be necessary? Here in our dive park there are enough lobster and sheephead to keep the urchins hidden during the day and night and our kelp is pretty healthy.

Has it been established that the urchin culls in Mendocino etc. are effective and don't cause worse problems? I am as eager as anyone to get rid of the urchins but the ecology of a system like the ocean is extremely complex and by fixing one thing we might make others much worse. In positive news, I did see a sea star in Monterey the other day, that made me smile. Here's hoping it finds the urchins good eating.

I'm not an expert on this but my understanding is that primary goal of these culling efforts is to study the effects. The urchins have created barrens and the kelp has been greatly reduced. The urchin problem is not totally understood, but some contributing factors are that the primary predator of urchins in Norcal is the sea star and the sea star population has been decimated by sea star wasting disease. The otter population was nearly wiped out in the 1800s. Also, rising temperatures can be part of the problem.

So, to answer your question, no, it's not a definitive answer to the urchin problem. For me, doing something and studying the effects is better than doing nothing. Urchins are a necessary part of the ecosystem, but even they are suffering from overpopulation. They're reducing their own food supply to the point that their growth is stunted.

The Reef Check urchin removal study in Monterey is ongoing and expected to continue into 2021. I didn't watch the entire video you linked but it does have Dan Abbott talking about it in the beginning.

I'm not sure what the petition you linked is trying to accomplish. It seems like they want to start culling urchins before this study is completed and/or regardless of the findings?

Back
Top Bottom