Peso or Dollars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is the best advice if you want to save money.
For example: a cab from Fiesta Americana to the Plaza is $10 US. It is alternatively 100 Pesos. 100 Pesos = $7.35 US
Taxi from the airport to FA cost me $114 Pesos. My Friends paid $11.50 US. 114 Pesos = $8.40 US
Restaurant bill for four $85 US. or 960 Pesos. 960 Pesos = $70 US

The difference in price on the restaurant tab paid for the cab ride there and back.

We're talking real money here.
Yes, it can certainly add up - and if it is convenient to exchange for pesos, for a low fee, and not carry too many back home at the end of the trip, great. More so if you pay a large part of your trip expenses in cash.

If you have to pay significant fees to change, or booked hotel & diving in dollars - not so great. Even worse if you stay at an AI with food & drink paid.

I went home with $200 USD worth of pesos once, saved them 'til the next year as my back had a heft conversion fee, and they devalued 20%. :mad:

Still, it's fortunate we can go either way, and the total difference in trip cost is really not so great.

FWIW, I convert my thinking to pesos as soon as I can when I get to Cozumel. I don't worry about exchange rates or whether I'm losing 30 cents on a cab ride. I go to an ATM in a bank and draw out pesos whenever I need cash (I don't charge anything), and when I get near the end of my trip I make an estimate of how much I'll need to break even. If I end up taking home 20 bucks in pesos it's not a big deal.

FWIW, I convert my thinking to pesos as soon as I can when I get to Cozumel. I don't worry about exchange rates or whether I'm losing 30 cents on a cab ride. I go to an ATM in a bank and draw out pesos whenever I need cash (I don't charge anything), and when I get near the end of my trip I make an estimate of how much I'll need to break even. If I end up taking home 20 bucks in pesos it's not a big deal.
Gordy, do you book & pay your hotel & diving in dollars or pesos? I've only seen Blue Angel rates for both in dollars, but if in pesos - that could be significant.

I'm sure you spend a lot more that hotel & diving of course, and on the other expenses - pesos will work better. 30c/cab is no big deal but $3 for every cab can be; going home with $20 in pesos no biggie vs $200 worth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom