Personal Training in preparation for Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shreksea

New
Reaction score
Hey guys, new time poster here. I love the content. I would like to get into shape before I start diving lessons. I want to start training to prepare myself for the long dives. I was wondering if any of you guys have experience in diving and personal training. I would love any help from you guys regarding this topic. Thank you!

You seem to be under the impression that diving requires a high degree of fitness, it does not. Being generally healthy and having a reasonable level of fitness can make it more enjoyable and efficient but is not critical. If you can swim 300-800 meters without stopping or walk at a brisk pace for a couple f miles you will be fine for recreational diving. Diving is not an extreme sport, when done right it is more like calm meditation.

that dynamic changes if you move to more advanced diving, such as a rescue course, technical diving, or public safety diving.

There may be a degree of lifting and carrying heavier objects if the dive site is not right next to where you set up your equipment. I probably have 40 pounds of gear on for a typical dive.

I will be the contrarian, SCUBA does not require a high level of fitness until it does. And the fitter you are the better diver you will be and diving aside, your enjoyment of life will be much improved. Swim, bike, run, strength, they are not just words I use but that I live by.

James

Check the swim test requirement for the training you are seeking and make sure you can do that.

You can hit the swimming pool or do a bit of cardio, this may help to not be tired after a dive. It’s not a requirement, but that may make the experience more enjoyable, if you are keen to be fit?

To things you can do right off the bat are SWIM and Weighted Carries.

YouTube is your friend:

LOADED Carries
1. Farmers
2. BearHug
3. Prowler - Push
4. SuitCase - One-arm Farmer’s Carry
5. Juggernauts - Dan John

Simple and direct on all accounts.

Before this gets too many replies and goes in too many directions.....

What is your current level of fitness?
Where do you feel you need improvement? Weight loss? Strength? Cardio?
What is your age range?

Answering these questions for yourself, and the group, are super important to get advice that might be useful.

Example: I am 51. Definitely overweight but I am stronger than most and can walk with heavy loads for a greater distance then many fit people. Why? I've been heavy my whole life so my muscles and stamina have adjusted for that.

If you are recently overweight then losing weight and/or building strength is important. If you are a general homebody that doesn't do much then building cardio might be a priority then possible strength.

Be sure to consider flexibility into all of this because SCUBA does have a need for the best movement possible. This is an area I have focused on as of late.

As above, not a particularly "fitness-oriented" sport. Being chilled out is more important.

However, you do need to be able to lift stuff. Dive kit is pretty heavy and at a minimum needs to be lifted from the floor into a car boot/trunk and walked to the diving location.

You do need to be able to swim and it helps if you can swim 500m/yds in a session.

The only times I've even slightly struggled was when humping kit up and over hills and doing long rescue tows. Once you're in the water it's easy.

Don't forget to have some fun :cool:

Diving in SE Asia is luxury for any out of shape divers!
You are never expected to carry anything other than fins, mask and weight on boat dive.
Shore dive is different ball game and you do need to be relatively fit.

A complete set of gear is pretty heavy. And if you need to carry a lot of weight then it will be a real challenge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom