Personal Challenge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cgvmer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I just got a call from my older brother and he informed me that his kidney's have decided to shutdown sooner than he expected. Some background, 3 of my 4 brothers have polycystic kidney disease, the most common kidney disease. My younger and oldest brothers have both had kidney transplants successfully. The two brothers that had transplants do not have my blood type, the brother that needs one now does.

Here is my situation, I am 6'5" and as of August 2009 I weighed approx 380lbs (BMI 45.1), as of today I weight 328lbs(BMI 38.9), so far so good. The surgery is expected to occur in late January 2010 and I must have a BMI of 35 or less which is 295. So my goal for 10 weeks is 38lbs.

I have been doing low carb without alot of exercise due to a blown knee (I got that trying to exercise on a bike and took a header).

Any suggestions on exercise that don't put alot of pressure on the knee?

Swim. . . seriously plus it has the added advantage of improving stamina for scuba surface swims! When I injured my back, swimming was the only exercise I could do for 3 years. Saved me.

Great suggestion to swim....sounds like your only option for cardio. If you aren't lifting weights, you might want to add that since more muscle will boost your metabolism and burn more fat. You could also find a Pilates class in your area and give that a go.

For the diet, make sure you're doing a "clean" low carb program and not supplementing with a lot of processed "low carb" foods. Lots of lean meats and veggies with zero processed bars or anything with "sugar alcohols" in it. Low carb pasta (Dreamfields) has been shown to act like regular pasta in most people, with simply a slower processing time in your body thus releasing the sugars a little slower (which is healthier, but not for someone seriously trying to lose a lot of weight like you are). If you stick to real, whole foods you're going to lose weight a lot faster and stay full a lot longer after meals.

Sorry to hear about your brother's health problems...he's lucky to have a brother like you though!

Started in the pool today, 600yds (tried breast stroke but the kick hurt the knee).

Did some machine work for the upperbody.

I'm starting slow to build up.

Yeah to you!!! You only need one kidney anyway. I have a friend who just donated one of her kidneys and both people are doing great! They won't take mine while I am living, but they are sure going to get both when I pass if they are still good! And your brother is going to make YOU a healthier person in the process of all of this :) Win, Win.

+1 regarding Dive Maven's advice on diet, real food is so much better for us in all ways, weight loss included. Not to mention that it just tastes better and is more satisfying.

+1 on the strength training too, will amp up your metabolic rate if you can put some muscle on.

Regarding exercise. Have you or can you see a Physical therapist? Depending on the nature and extent of your knee injury, maybe they can give you a little bit more variety for your workouts.

I spent a two months in PT, working on my wrist and knee (both injured when my rear bicycle tire hit a patch of sand while turning a corner and I went flying).
The wrist is 90% recovered, the exercises for the knee where basically going up and down a step to strengthen the knee.

I spent a two months in PT, working on my wrist and knee (both injured when my rear bicycle tire hit a patch of sand while turning a corner and I went flying).
The wrist is 90% recovered, the exercises for the knee where basically going up and down a step to strengthen the knee.

You know, sometimes when I am staying in a high rise hotel, i climb the stairs for part of my workout. Except now that is where all of the smokers hide since the hotels are all non smoking.

Maybe the PT who worked with you after your injury could advise you on what cardio things other than swimming would be safe/good for your knee. I would just get bored doing the same thing, indoors, in chlorine. For me, variety matters a lot. My knees are iffy from many years of running, but have not been injured per se so my knees will tell me what is OK and what is not. Having an injury like you do, a PT's advice is probably the best. I'd hate to see you reinjured.

ok spent a week in the pool, worked my way up to 4 sets of 400yds freestyle in just under an hour. Now if I can do that 3 days a week and walk other days.

I want to stay at this level for a week and add a day or 2 of weight training next week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom