Pernicious Anemia and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lhuggins

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, I am new to this forum. I was diagnosed with PA in August 2011 (58 year old male). I live in the US at an elevation of 4,000 feet above sea level. I tried to find out any information on scuba diving and PA but found out very little so I thought I would share my experience. I have been diving for over 10 years (usually one trip a year to the Caribbean). I had a diving trip to Bonaire planed the end of February 2012 and was concerned about how PA would effect my diving. I am self injecting (IM) about every other week and STARTING to get some of my strength back. I am still quite weak and nowhere near where I was before starting to feel the effects of PA. I contacted DAN to see if they could provide any information and they told me if my blood work was normal I should not have any problems. I was concerned enough I asked my diving buddies to please keep an eye on me while diving. I dive with nitrox (this trip ean of 32). I am sure we all understand that my experience could be completely different than others. I did about 12 dives to a max. depth of 90 feet and had no problems at all, my air consumption was about the same as it has been in the past. While in Bonaire I felt better than I have felt in a very long time. I do not know if it was the nitrox, the elevation (sea level) or something else but I was even able to climb the highest peak in Bonaire (almost 800 feet) without any problems. I hope my experience can help someone who is asking the same question about scuba and PA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom