Performing technical dives on same boat with recreational divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Garth

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just curious to see about what people thought about performing extended run times on wrecks with recreational divers on board...
Example.. Sunday I will be diving the john d gill and would like to do an extended bottom time with accelerated deco. One dive. Since they will be diving there for two dives it would work out best for me.
Talked to the boat and they said it would be okay but if there was an emergency then we would have problems... Wonder what they meant.

Any thoughts people?

It means that if you run into problems there may not be anyone who can get to you. Or if one of the recreational divers has a problem while you are doing deco they may not be able to wait for you. Doing so could cost someone their life. Are you ok with that? Just what kind of run time and deco are you looking at? What back gas and deco gas are you using. I'm guessing you have adv nitrox and deco procedures certs?

I expect it would be the same problems if there were any emergency on any technical dive boat. The boat has to stop and wait for the diver on deco instead of running the emergency back to shore.

I personally never mix recreational and technical divers. They have 2 different goals and 2 different agendas. I'm sure it can be done safely, I'm just not too sure how.

I've been on dive boats where that was done--recreational divers doing two shorter dives while tech divers did one long one. I suppose it could pose a problem if one of the rec divers had an emergency that required an immediate return to shore while you still had deco to do. Maybe that is what the op was concerned about.
But I've certainly seen it done.

I've done this before on the oriskany. Me any my dive buddy were doing a tech dive and bunch of divers doing Rec profiles.

My plan would include double 120's with 50% on deco with about 18-20 min deco. My concern is with the Rec divers having a problem and the boat pulling me off my deco. The dive is to 95ft. 45-60min on air backgas. Would have been great to have nitrox 36% but I was unable to get a fill and well my tanks are filled with air now so that's what I thought I would do.
I am adv nitrox and deco certified. I will be diving alone but would rather not make this into one of those threads. Figure I would answer the questions so far though.

We've done the same on Guam.

The boat captain just wanted our plan (as always) and required that we were in the water right away.

-Mitch

I think if I was just starting my deco and was told to exit I would be more inclined to tie into the ship, shoot a bag as an up line, finish my deco and wait for someone to pick me up. My predator can help me get out of the water if I use the gf99 but I'd rather not just avoid all deco all together... No thanks.
Things to think about.

It is pretty much standard practice to see recreational and tech divers on the boat that I use here in NY. The boat leaves early morning and comes back late afternoon. Recreational divers do two dives and accept that the day can be 6 to 8 hours long. The boat generally has a fun crowd with food and soft drinks served there is just as much fun on the deck as in the water. With currents and shipping lanes in the North East, the boat will anchor to the dive site and only pulls anchor when the last diver is up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom