Peregrine vs Oceanic vt3

Which computer would you pick?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mate the Cementco, we use Flinders as a recompression extra decompression dive especially after St Paul

I would rather rub my face in a porcupine than dive Flinders

Unless it's this Flinders

Ha ha, good on you, I have dived all them years ago , St Paul in about 40m and the Cementco around 25-27m [from memory]
Flinders can be good on the right day, like the day two humpback whales swam over us going north [never felt so small]
As for the other Flinders, I know it all to well, posted to the Flinders Naval base [HMAS Cerberus, and dived that area],7mm or dry suit and cold, and the biggest shark in Australia on one dive [ may not have been, but looked it to us], good fish life, I just remember thinking "I want out of here".
Back on topic:
Yeah enjoy your dives, enjoy what you have and stay away from the fashionable computer fiddlers on the boat

The ones that strap their computer bricks to the roof handrails and forget they're there when they jump in ha!
Did a diver leave their computer on the boat when you dived the Cementco?

No, past experience

I currently have an oceanic vt3 but looking at a peregrine. I like the peregrine computer better but I also like that the vt3 is AI. If anyone has experience with both of these computers, can you share your thoughts on which one you prefer? Or anyone want to give their advice on which to go with?
While I haven’t exactly used both, I’ve used something fairly close. My previous computer was a VT4.1, and now use a Perdix AI. I don’t generally use the compass, and use it in rec mode, so apart from AI, it’s pretty close to the Peregrine In many ways.

Without a doubt, a Peregrine is a much better computer in many ways, but it is lacking AI, which can be a significant factor or not. It really depends on the user, and how that particular feature ranks.

The VT is no slouch either. So, if it’s working, keep using it for a while. Save up some money for a Perdix AI, or Teric, or whatever may be available at the time. Your transmitter will still work with a new SW AI, so that saves a few bucks.

If you are still really torn, do some dives with AI turned off and rely on an SPG. See if it bothers you. I’ve been using AI computers since I started diving with a computer. Only recently, I’ve started using my Perdix on some dives with AI off. I started diving at an aquarium on a regular basis. I can take my Perdix, but need to use the aquarium’s regs. It wasn’t exactly difficult to adapt to, but it definitely made me realize that I much prefer AI.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom