Perdix: sluggish temperature sensor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

European

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I would like to find out whether anyone else has experienced this behaviour:

Today I went diving in a lake with a temperature between 6°C (below) and 10°C at the surface (53-60°F). First after 7:30min the Perdix showed 10° where it was 6° and the measurement was fairly sluggish. Finally after 9:40min it showed the correct temperature (compared with several others afterwards). Outside temperature was about 22°C (71°F), I have used a dry suite and measurement interval is 20sec.

Does anyone account for that behaviour?

all of the Shearwaters I have used have real sluggish temp sensors. I am not entirely sure the temp sensor is exposed to the outside environment so it may have to wait for the whole computer to get to the ambient temp. My Nitek Q is super responsive to temp, but it is also metal vs. plastic so it changes temps more rapidly. It's a bit annoying if you are trying to check thermoclines for sure

I guess I'm used to a L-O-N-G decreasing curve on the temp sensor. I think all of my (family) PDCs exhibit that. Just like a mechanical thermometer of days gone by...

Cochran EMC-20, Mares Puck, Oceanic Veo 180Nx, Shearwater Petrel1 & Pedrix, and my DiveNav TechBuddy data logger too.....

YMMV

All of the computers I have owned take a bit for temp to measure accurately. Hollis DG03, Oceanic VTX, and now the Perdix. I have just assumed that's how they work or that warmer/colder water is trapped between the computer and my sleeve.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom