Perdix--Disable Full Time Safety Stop display in Rec Mode?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guyharrisonphoto

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I think I know the answer to this question but am hoping some experienced users here or someone from Shearwater can weigh in on this.

My one issue with the Perdix display is a large deal-breaking one for me. It is that the "safety stop" is constantly displayed during the dive. For a recreational dive screen set-up, the only info I need/want to see is the minimum necessary to execute the dive safely: depth, time (I like the depth/time in the single window with depth larger), NDL, tank pressure (I don't' mind the mix in small font), and the GTR calculation.

But, on the Perdix, the large words "safety stop" appear all the time fully spelled out above NDL, and even worse the stop is in three large digits and a colon, four total (instead of the two for NDL). Because of the way we read (top to bottom) and the way our brains are wired (large things more important than small) my eyes go first directly to the safety stop info which appears to have more more visual importance than the NDL info. This is confusing, unnecessary and prevents the "at a glance" understanding of the key life/safety information.

The only thing I want to see in the "NDL" box is the actual NDL in large font because no space is wasted on safety stop, and the ascent rate indicator once I begin the ascent. I do not need or want to see "safety stop" until I actually reach the stop depth (6m), when it can then replace NDL entirely in the same nice big font and start the countdown.

Am I missing something? Can it be disabled?

If not, this would seem like a no-brainer-simple thing to fix. Could something like this be done with a firmware update?

Shearwater, would you do this?

That is the reason that I bought a Teric instead of a Perdix AI (which I preferred for battery and screen-size reasons). The Teric uses a modal display for NDL/SS. Once you hit the SS depth, the Teric display switches from showing NDL and instead shows the SS countdown/ Clear countup.

It is not only clearer IMO, but it also frees up screen space. In OC Rec mode, you can actually fit more data items on the Teric screen (at a smaller font size) than on the larger Perdix screen.

I'd love to see the Perdix/Nerd2 ... family firmware incorporate that change/"optimization" @Shearwater . It would actually cause me to buy a Perdix for my primary and Teric as a secondary.

I don't want the small number display. I do a lot of photography and don't want to have to concentrate on my computer. I want "at a glance" instant critical information in big numbers. I would be using the larger and more simply organized rec display all the time. I just want the one glaring imperfection to be fixed. Sounds like I am not the only one who has not purchased because of this glitch. It is just a mystery. I cannot imagine even a theoretical reason why this information would be needed on the display during a dive, ever, let alone in a place of such confusing prominence.

According to the manual:
Safety Stop

The Safety Stop setting can be set to the following values:
  • Off
  • 3 minutes
  • 4 minutes
  • 5 minutes
  • Adapt

When using the Adapt setting, a 3 minute safety stop will be used, unless the dive exceeds 100ft (30m) or the NDL falls below 5 minutes, in which case a 5 minute safety stop is used.
Why not just turn it off?

I also do a lot of photography (150-400 shots per dive) and I have no problems at all with the safety stop display on my Perdix.

I might have a logical answer for you, even if it's not the one you want.
In this photo, I have safety stop turned off. A a result, the field you are interested in has now changed from "SAFETY STOP" to "DECO STOP", and NDL is in smaller numbers in the lower right hand corner of that box. As you said, it's not bringing your NDL front and center. But, it IS the only number in that box.
IMG_20201214_184617.jpg

Now assume you have overstayed your welcome, due to lack of attention.
On my Perdix at least, I get a prominent warning when I'm down to 2 min NDL...
IMG_20201214_185046.jpg

... and two minutes later, what IS the biggest number in the field you were focusing on? It's your required stop (the low NDL warning would have cleared by a finger press, which I could not accomplish in this display chamber - SurGF would now be greater than my GFHi).
IMG_20201214_185333.jpg

It may not be what you want, but using your logic, I think it makes some sense. When NDL is remaining, it's the only number there (though I will agree, having other words in the field is distracting).
But once you are out of NDL, it reminds you what next is most important: a deco stop.
So I'd suggest just turning Safety Stop off.
IMG_20201214_190707.jpg

Having said that, I'd certainly agree that "3:00" could easily (and should) be left blank until you get to 20 feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom