Percentage of divers who go beyond openwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jayfarmlaw

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
a question came up in a tangent to a post last week. What percentage of divers go beyond open water to AOW, Rescue, Nitrox, Divemaster etc?

Thanks,
Jay

Keep your eyes open and you can get an idea by the divers going through your shop for training. Anything else you see is just someone else's guess as no one in the industry shares much, and spins what they do.

Bob

My original cert was from L.A. County and allowed me to dive like someone with an AOW cert from other agencies. I didn't see any need to get an AOW cert until I started traveling internationally and young PADI instructors had no clue what the LAC cert was. That was 30 years after my initial cert (and nearly 40 years after I started diving).

I had a few hundred dives before an instructor offered to take me through DM for cost if I helped with his classes. I probably would have just stuck with my OW card if not for that.

@drbill
My original cert was from L.A. County and allowed me to dive like someone with an AOW cert from other agencies. I didn't see any need to get an AOW cert until I started traveling internationally and young PADI instructors had no clue what the LAC cert was. That was 30 years after my initiangl cert (and nearly 40 years after I started diving.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
LA Co UW program creates divers not people who just dive

You should have observed enough divers at your park to know by now there is a big difference

SDM

a question came up in a tangent to a post last week. What percentage of divers go beyond open water to AOW, Rescue, Nitrox, Divemaster etc?

Thanks,
Jay
Do any of the training organizations release or publish this kind of information? If we knew #OW, AOW, Rescue, DM certs for a year or longer period, we would have a rough idea, as each successive cert requires the prior one. I'd also be interested in knowing this.

We always did courses on dive holidays which was all of them. Private diving, free gear and honing our skills all while making lifelong friends getting to test new gear to boot.

@scubadada
Do any of the training organizations release or publish this kind of information? If we knew #OW, AOW, Rescue, DM certs for a year or longer period, we would have a rough idea, as each successive cert requires the prior one. I'd also be interested in knowing this.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I would sincerely doubt it !

One needs only to go to any area on this board and go back two years -- there might be a few name's that are recognizable - go back 5 years few if any are recognizable -- to the very beginning of the board there will be no name that is recognizable.

Recreational diving is a transitional sport/activity-- enjoy it and immerse in it - until the equipment begins wear or the wife wants a new home.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When Skin Diver Magazine was being published by the late Jim Auxier ad Chuck Blakeslee, they decided to do a 25 year survey on the diving public based on their readers and subscribers.

Every five years for a period of 25 years they had a professional survey company contact a survey of readers and subscribers. I have all the surveys tucked away in my file.

The last survey was some years ago - but it indicated that the average length a diver to remained active in the sport was 2.9 years ! Granted some like @drbill @Akimbo @David Wilson, @boulderjohn and a few others have so much money and time invested that they are the exception and will be around forever--

So please keep in mind it is a transitional sport

SDM

Back
Top Bottom