Pensacola, what would you do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wildebesste

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Got 10 days off work in November. Driving down from NM with a rough idea of aiming for Pensacola. 2 days out, 2 days back leaves us 6 days for play. So, what would you do? Spend the whole time in Pensacola? If so, any specific recommends? Or just take a couple of days there before pushing further south?
TIA
Nick

Fly to COZ :D

Have some backup plans if the marine conditions in the gulf are bad such as Vortex and Morrison springs.

I haven't dove Pensacola, but have enjoyed diving in PCB, Destin and Gulf Shores in the last few years. Destin has a few real reefs unlike most of the rest of Gulf diving. The bridge spans and wrecks in the other two locations are good for Goliath Grouper sightings

Have some backup plans if the marine conditions in the gulf are bad such as Vortex and Morrison springs.

I haven't dove Pensacola, but have enjoyed diving in PCB, Destin and Gulf Shores in the last few years. Destin has a few real reefs unless most of the rest of Gulf diving. The bridge spans and wrecks in the other two locations are good for Goliath Grouper sightings
Oh cool. Had my first up close and personal with a grouper diving the Circle of Heroes out of tarpon Springs a couple of months ago. Turned a corner and there he was right in front of me. Not sure who jumped more! PCB?

The signature Pensacola dive is the USS Oriskany. The world's largest artificial reef, it's 25 miles off shore, and an advanced dive because of depth and strong currents. Depending on your skill and experience (and the November weather), it should either be #1 on your list or not on your list for this trip at all.

Since you're already spending 4 of your 10 days looking through a windshield, I would not add 3 or 4 more days to get further south.

There are plenty of reefs and wrecks on the panhandle to fill 4 days of diving, and pushing just a little bit east will give you access to 2 days of great spring diving. Ginnie Springs, the most famous, is 4 hours east, and there are plenty of others closer.

Ned DeLoach's Diving Guide to Underwater Florida would be good reading for the drive out.

Best wishes,

I agree with the springs for diving but if you want to try and dive in Pensacola. There is the Oriskany as well as The New Venture, The Avocet, And The YT14-YT15. Another good thing to dive that is close by and is a beach dive is The Whiskey wreck which is an old 18th century Rum runner boat

If you dive off Pensacola I would suggest to go with the H2O Below. Great boat, great Captain and Divemaster as well and they can get you right on top of a wreck and have a great setup for a safety line to help you if you need it. Because of that it’s great for new or still beginning Saltwater divers

You will probably find that boats are only going out on weekends that time of year.

There are several shallow easy to walk to shore dives that are interesting.

Fort Pickens has a lot of fish. You can night dive there too.

Potofino and Navarre artificial reefs have lots of little creatures. Turtles swim by also.

Unless uncovered by a storm, the Whiskey Wreck is covered with sand.

Shore Sites - Gulf Coast Divers - Dive Alabama, Florida and Mississippi Gulf Coast - Scuba Diving At Its' Best - Mobile, Alabama

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom