Penform console????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gmbaker

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am in need of a compass for my console which is only has 2 gauges ( no compass), and I saw a Penform 3 gauge console for $30.00. Anyone ever heard of this? I was considering just buying a compass, but for $30, I get the whole thing. thanks

Gary

They still make those? wow, I remember them from years ago but haven't seen one in a long time. They used to have a good reputation.

Tom

the console is used and from a reliable source. Would I be better of just buying a new 3 gauge console ousing and swapping my gauges out and getting a new compass? or to make it more confusing, wait until I get a computer ( almost holiday time) to figure out what works best.

Gary

*cough* wrist mount *cough*

Wow. I still have an old Penneform console. It worked/works fine, although some folks may find it to be a bit oversized.

I had no idea that they still made them. With my old one, you could shave away the internal baffles and custom fit them to almost any guage configuration.

They were hard plastic back then and so they really show scuffs and scratches, but then again, that makes you look more like an "old salt" after only 20 dives or so.....

I'm still not up on this DIR stuff, but over the years I have slowly gotten away from the "console concept" and now wrist or BC mount most of my "stuff" (compass and primary computer on my wrists. My backup computer is on a tether on my BC and is strapped down but easy to pull out for use......)

The pressure gauge is much more compact, easier to access, easier to stow without dragging or hanging down and just plain more convenient. My compass and computer are less likely to get scratched or banged up (not mattter how tightly you clip you console, it WILL drag on stuff on get hung up when it is the least convenient. I can't tell you how many consoles I've seen with empty "compass holes" from having the bezel hang on the side of the boat or a line.)

Anyway, if you like consoles the Pennform is fine and mine held up for over 20 years of serious abuse.

Just to keep from going to a bigger more cumbersome console. The wrist mount models work OK. (This is what I used for training) As for myself, I use a clip on model on my BC (minature) It works well enough to keep me from getting lost.

Back
Top Bottom