Pemba dive shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bobbobson

Registered
Reaction score
I've seen some discussion on Pemba and thanks for the great advice, but one thing I haven't seen is tips on specific dive shops. Looking to make a trip to Pemba for Christmas, so does anyone have experience that could be shared for dive shops worth booking with? (or avoiding). Thanks.

Unfortunately never got a reply, but for posterity’s sake - strong recommendation for AfroDivers. High quality gear, boats, and crew made for some great diving. Although I’d add that I wouldn’t go to Tanzania just for the diving, but if you’re there anyway, it beats hanging out on seaweed farm beaches

I second Afrodivers. Michael runs a very good dive centre. Also, I had to rent equipment as didn't have mine, and couldn't have been happier with what was provided. You can find them on Facebook: Afro Divers

Incidentally, the diving on Pemba is much better than Zanzibar main island.

Accommodation: definitely stay at Pemba Paradise, which is close by to Afro

Thanks for the recommendations for Afro Divers. I have also read very good reports (here and elsewhere) about Swahili Divers. However, a travel pro is eager for us to use Manta Divers rather than Swahili (or Afro). Can anyone comment on Manta? I've seen older posts here indicating that Manta and Swahili dive in different areas; is that still true, and is this also true of Afro Divers?

Thanks all.

Yeh The travel pros will recommend the place that gives them the best deal/commission.

I believe all the operators mentioned are good. For me, Afrodivers has an advantage as they are the only operator using speedboat, so can easily cover the whole area of dive sites. As stated previously, their equipment- including boat- is top notch.

I haven't dived with Swahili or Manta, but if I return to Pemba I will go straight back to Afro.

I just returned from Pemba and dove with Afro Divers. They were excellent. The rental equipment was excellent, they use backplate and wings which was cool. They have a fast zodiac which got us out to the sites quickly. I also liked that Carlotta takes great pictures of the dives and will forward them to you. Very nice shop.

ConeyIslander, did you also stay at Pemba Paradise?

ConeyIslander, did you also stay at Pemba Paradise?
Yes It was lovely and I would recommend it the rooms were nice and priced fairly. The food was ok.
The next hotel over on the beach is the Aiyana which is a luxury hotel (rooms were 3 to 4 times the price of Pemba Paradise) that you can walk to during low tide. They have a great restaurant and bar area in which they allow walk-ins to use. If the tide comes in during your meal just ask the desk to get a cab back to PP. The food and beverages are priced about the same as The Pemba Paradise but much better quality. So we walked over for a few of our meals. They also had a better wine selection.
Another thing is that we arranged our airport pick up through Afro Divers, which was perfect. If you want Afro Divers will also arrange for you to have a meal in the local village near by and provide transport after the dive, Michael and Carlotta were super nice.

Thank you for taking the time to provide such good detail.

Back
Top Bottom