Pelican Tank Rack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unless they have radically changed the way they make these racks for saltwater use in the past few decades, after a few months, you will discover that you have purchased a piece of rusting junk. Nice idea made from steel that rusts through the easily chipped plastic. Best of luck with it.

I dunno, Tom....

I had one back in the '80's and did not have a rust problem; basically I put the rack in a hold (it was forward of the center console on a 31' Contender; think the hold was originally designed for optional fuel, or other storage) - the rack fit pretty well - and put the tanks in - they "stuck out" a little bit above the deck -

The problem I would have recommending this product is its not flexible on tank sizes (I would not be able to fit my steel 100's unless they now offer different sizes); found it was MUCH easier to use the product if you did not have boots on the tanks (not an acceptable option for me); tough to fit a "rigged" tank; was a PITA to mount it - its not stable; you either have to permanently attach it to the deck, put it in a hatch below deck as I did, or bungy it really well - tough to do.

I would look into the suction cup mounting systems vs the pelican rack - plus the pelican rack seems so 1980's - but maybe thats just when I had the product! :rofl3:

Thanks much ScubaGuy77, Great idea weaving rope on the bottom of the rack and "noodles" between the tanks. I've also put that rubber stuff used for kitchen cabinets on my deck where the rack will sit, protects the rack and deck.

Back
Top Bottom