Peleliu and Palalu diving report February 2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alexkott

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I spend about 10 days diving Palalu and Peleliu, mostly Peleliu. Here are my terse observations.

Wetsuit: in February most people wear full 3mm. I used a 1mm skin plus 2
mm shorty - felt warm, only couple shivers on strong-current dives. Because of
strong currents and frequent hooking to reefs, you will often bump into stones and
coral; thus some wetsuit or at least a dive skin for protection are important.

Equipment for safety: because some dives feature dangerous currents (e.g
southern Pelelui where a group of Japanese divers died after being swept
into the open ocean), carry big sausage, folding snorkel (not a regular one because
currents will pull on it, but the one you can fold and put into BC pocket),
electric night strobe, pressure-powered horn. Carry at least one glove, to
better grab stones in high currents.

Opinions on alternative sites: I asked a few divers I met in Palalu what diving destinations they would rate higher than Palalu. Some prefer Philippines (twice cheaper, nicer, more variety), some say Indonesia and Thailand (more colorful reef and small life). Sabadan (sp?) was recommended.

About budget lodging in Palau. Hotel Lehns is an older 3-storey inn in a humble part of town, not much of a view. 5-10 min walk to the main street and shopping. Worn, shubby, but serviceable rooms, adequate a/c, hot showers, cable TV. Room w/ 2 beds (queen and double) with fridge but no kitchen - $45; 2 bedroom apartment with kitchen - $85, discount may be given. Pleasant sitting and coffee area, a small shop.
West Plaza hotels are of higher quality and price than Lehns, but still budget. Two of
them - "by the sea" and "reef" even have an ocean view, are on the water, 5-10 min walk from the main street.

Groceries in Palau: I saw at least two small supermarkets with the usual US-like assortment of US-made foods.

Peleliu: 7 miles long island, two docks (north and south points), couple days worth
of hiking the sites and (well-marked by red and white concrete markers)
trails of WW2. 500 population, of whom about 60 are Filipinos. Small village
(about 500 m radius) 10 min walk from north dock. The rest is empty: dense
jungles, sharp coral hills. Mostly very shabby huts, but some well kept
concrete houses. Reliable electricity and drinking water. Very friendly
natives are laid back, most work and business is done by Filipinos. Several
neatly kept churches and noticeable piety of the folks, as is a drug
problem, esp. over-use of betel nut. Couple small stores sell basic
products. Sizeable elementary school and athletic field. One storey building
of Peleliu state governor and local legislature. Couple paved roads and many
dirt roads. Good Palau-wide phone connection. Use pre-paid cards (sold in
stores) to call international. Internet only in the home of local speaker of
legislature (he goes by Des), $3 for 30 min, an extremely slow dial up.

How to compare Peleliu vs Koror? Peleliu diving tends toward nearby sites, with less variety,
few trips to more northern sites like Ulong channel. But Peleliu offers short boat rides, unlike Koror. Peleliu boat often comes back to dock for surface interval. Koror boats(according to some
experienced Japanese divers who tried both Koror and Peleliu, and prefer Peleliu) have to hurry
the dives in order to squeeze 3 dives and long rides between 9am and 4:30pm.
Japanese tend to buy 3 dives/day, and they dominate the diving scene. So a 2-dive/day diver
must sit on the boat 2 additional boring hours, waiting while the other divers go thru the second surface
interval and 3rd dive. Peleliu boats usually avoid this by doing 2 "far
side" dives, then coming back to Peleliu dock where 2-dives divers can end
the day, and 3-dives divers can have a third local dive.

MAML Dive shop: the cheapest, budget operation on Palau (with discount, $45/dive from Koror, $40/dive from Peleliu. Koror shop of MAML is adequately appointed, runs 3
boats, one even has a head.

Peleliu shop of MAML is under-equipped, marginally
maintained, shabby; runs 2 boats. 5 staff (2 dive-masters, 2 captains, 1
assistant) for up to 25 divers (up to 75 dives a day). Lack of firm procedures and
rules, rudimentary pre-dive briefs, no spares on board, little to rent, no
tank hanging at 15 ft, many dives end beyond NDL. One boat had
malfunctioning fuel pump for at least a week, but the captain managed OK.
Japanese box
lunches are served after the second dive, generous portions. Tanks are filled generously - 3500 psi is typical. Dive-masters are very hard-working, try to shepard the divers, to accommodate and to help. They also tend to provide all kind of general help for the divers as they stay on Peleliu. Overall - adequate budget diving operation.

What to do when there is no head (toilet) on the boat? Without a head and given
4-hour or longer trips, the system for meeting the biological needs is this: during the surface interval, divers in wet
suits jump in the water, remove (and hold, for the sake of bouyancy) the suits, and do the elimination. Japanese ladies often hold by the ladder while doing the deed.

Peleliu dives: the best sites are Peleliu Corners and Peleliu Express. You
drift along the wall toward the southrn tip of Peleliu (beyond which is the open
ocean), hook yourself to the reef, watch sharks, then exit. Currents are
often very strong. The topography and currents almost always result in
exceeding NDL and in about 10 min decompression. If current sweeps you into
the open ocean-tough. Use sausage and pray that your boat or the rescue will
find you before the night fall.

Peleliu lodging: Island Terrace has 6 nice rooms ($65/night), large, 2 queen
beds, clean, newish, fridge, adequate a/c, hot water, shared and fully
equipped kitchen, shared terrace space with table and chairs, rinsing tank
and drying shed. No ocean view, but much greenery around. Island View (run
by MAML) has nice ocean views, but rooms ($65/night) are older, worn.
Dolphin Bay is a neat, well-appointed resort, bungalows on the beach, a/c,
about a mile from the village, more expensive, was all booked. Storyboard is
a set of older, more rustic bungalows on the beach, 2 are with a/c, others
with fans, $70/night, was almost empty. Couple small, cheaper ($25/night ?)
inns are available thru MAML or Peleliu Adventures. Carp Island is couple
miles from Peleliu, eco-resort (no a/c, fans), all booked.

Peleliu dive shops: besides MAML (described above), Peleliu Adventures is active, with
good-looking shop. Also, Day Dream seems to operate? All are affiliated with
a lodging, but take divers from any inn.

Peleliu eateries: Yellow Wall Restaurant is run by MAML, a one room shack
with one long table; essentially a family meal of reasonable quality. Storyboard
offers breakfast ($8) and dinner, $13; reportedly tasty; reservation is
probably required as they cook for very few customers.

Thanks, great report. Very detailed :thumb:

I'm planning a 3 weeks trip to Yap and Palau in November.
I've been very interested in all precisions on Peleliu Island.
Dolphin Bay is already all booked in November !

As a dive guide, living/working/diving Yap,Palau,and Peleliu for a year. My opinion is to stay in Koror at the Uri Hotel and dive with one of the three main dive shops.(Sam's,Fish n Fins,Neco) The boat rides are time consuming but are interesting. Do not limit yourself to Peleliu where the dive sites are very challenging and weather conditions can be extreme. The best dive site is Ulong Channel followed by Blue Corner,Blue Holes,German Channel,Virgin Blue Hole,New Drop Off,Siaes Corner,while Peleliu has only The Express,The Cut,and Yellow Wall. Also do not miss the magical Jellyfish Lake and numerous WWII wrecks.
Now as for Yap....I would only go there to log it as a dive destination. Spend your dive time & surface intervals in Palau.

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

Hi Krazytomdiver,

Thanks for the input. It's very helpfull.
I'm planning 6 days in Yap and 10 days in Palau.

I've been thinking it was a good idea to stay on Peleliu because the best known dive sites are located within a 20 minutes boat ride from the island vs 45 minutes boat ride from Koror. And we have the greatest chance to be the first group to arrive at Blue Corner or German Channel.

But I read some divers didn't really notice the boat ride from Koror was boring with all the scenery.

So, I'm thinking about a 5-days stay in Koror + a 4-days stay in Peleliu or Carp Island.

I've searched the Uri Hotel on the web, but I've found no hotel with this name… Did you give me the right spelling ?

As a dive guide, You got me it's Yuhi Motel emial yuhi@palaunet.com Wilma Kumangai is manger. This hotel has a nice kitchen,A/C,TV two beds with fold out in living area. It's quiet,close to food market/eateries but will need pick up transportation to dive shop which the dive shop will include. Also you are mistaken about the distances from Peleliu to the Ulong Channel,Sias Corner but German Channel & Blue corner are closer. Being the first to most dive sites means nothing...being there when the tide is right is everything. All your wrecks are inside the reef miles from Peleliu which really only has 3 to 4 dite sites compared with the main island of Palau. I personally could not stay on Peleliu for very long but to each their own plus the dive shops are very questionable.

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

it's Yuhi Motel emial yuhi@palaunet.com Wilma Kumangai is manger.
OK, I'll send an email to Wilma Kumanga.

Being the first to most dive sites means nothing...being there when the tide is right is everything.
This is great information ! Thanks a lot.

Also you are mistaken about the distances from Peleliu to the Ulong Channel,Sias Corner but German Channel & Blue corner are closer.
[...] plus the dive shops are very questionable.
I will reconsider my plans regarding Peleliu...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom