Peeking into the dark side ....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

_Ralph

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi you weird people with all your bungees!

I'm not quite a die hard back mounter, but I do visit some awesome places where BM isn't always the most logistical choice (packing and environment)

85% of my diving is cold water (1C-9C/33F-48F) drysuit, doubles back mount with an AL deco bottle (50 or 100% depending on depth)

I've been looking over several threads and friends FB posts about their rigs and rigs in general. Doing so, I think I've narrowed it down to XDeep Stealth 2.0 system, looking at the Tec wing.

Most tanks I dive are double 12L-16L steel and AL40/80 for stages/deco, 0 weight with a 2lb AL plate in fresh water and maybe 2lbs with a 6lb steel plate in salt water (same tanks/exposure).

I do also a fair bit of warm water (budget and schedule dependent), where generously filled 12-15L steels are prevailent, as well as the ubiquitous AL80 reigns supreme (0lb with AL plate with steels, 0 with SS AL80).

I do like the minimalistic nature of the styling of the XDeep (and other 'MX' rigs).

Most I would carry, would be 2 steels (12-16L) and 1-2 AL80's. Anything more than that (especially in warm water) the RB would take over (in the very distant future) .... $400 in He + O2 in the Caribbean for a day of OC diving vs. a week of RB diving......

Warm water (if not doing deep dives) would be an AL80 (or two)

So this leads to a few questions ...

Am I nuts in thinking about this rig for what I typically dive?

Who/Where should I go for training on this system? (prefer to do with a shop/region that actually sells and supports it, vs a generic sidemount instructor/shop, and in the Northern Hemisphere, Americas side).

_R

I don't know what you mean by tec wing but the stealth is a very rugged harness and should be able to handle the loads you're looking at bringing without breaking a sweat, as long as your wing has sufficient lift.

I don't know anyone specifically to recommend for training, but Birds Underwater Inc has trained some of the best sidemount divers I know

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom