Peeing Etiquette

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jafo19D

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Sorry if this question belongs in the advanced scuba section but what is the etiquette for peeing while diving? Do you always move to the back of the group in order to not make this behind you but your urine wake? Is there a signal to tell your buddy you have to piss?

Asking for a friend.

Well, I can tell you that I’ve had people “relieve” themselves on my boat in the past. I’ve had wetsuit divers pee in their suits before they get in the water and let in run down their leg and out onto the deck, and I had a drysuit guy decide to pee through the cath and let it go out on the deck. They figured it would go into the bilge and get pumped out anyway, but it was still gross and rude IMO.
Underwater I’m not sure. I guess just make sure you’re down current and let er rip.

My instructor told me the sign for "I have to pee" is to cross your fingers... mimicking crossed legs of someone holding their pee. You then open your fingers into a V to indicate "I just peed!"

He did not discuss any etiquette other than DON'T PEE IN THE POOL!

My instructor told me the sign for "I have to pee" is to cross your fingers... mimicking crossed legs of someone holding their pee. You then open your fingers into a V to indicate "I just peed!"

I have been told the same thing. The best time to do the upside down V is when you are in a small part of the cave as diver 1 :D

Well, I can tell you that I’ve had people “relieve” themselves on my boat in the past. I’ve had wetsuit divers pee in their suits before they get in the water and let in run down their leg and out onto the deck, and I had a drysuit guy decide to pee through the cath and let it go out on the deck. They figured it would go into the bilge and get pumped out anyway, but it was still gross and rude IMO.
Underwater I’m not sure. I guess just make sure you’re down current and let er rip.

Wow, I can't believe anyone would pee on the boat. Gross and incredibly rude.

The issue is not what transpires in the water, but when you’re on the boat. It’s unpleasant climbing back aboard a boat that stinks like a urinal from “wet” suits. If you soiled your suit jump back in the water after you ditch your gear if given the opportunity or rinse yourself off with a hose. A two piece freediving wetsuit has it’s advantages on extended dives after three cups of coffee...I was told.

I can’t pee in open water I get stage fright.... I was in little cayman and was told not to flush the head, guess what I did? Apparently in the Cayman’s you can dump your waist right into the ocean overtop of divers.

Back
Top Bottom