Pedro's ID problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pedroinspain

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This little fellow was in 1m shallows at Brayka Bay near Marsa Alam, over gritty sand near to algae-encrusted coral. One of a pair. It was also considerable smaller (hardly reaching 20 cm) versus the 30cm quoted for the'flagtail' by Collins. Dived into a hole under a small piece of 'dead' coral.

Looks like a flagtail blanquillo (Malacanthus brevirostris) but has no tail stripes or other markings or colourings. Neither my Collins nor Debelius gives other options.

Any ideas or suggestions because this is just the first of?

Attachments

• 28n 18 Blanquillo no tail stripes.jpg
    28n 18 Blanquillo no tail stripes.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 153
I cannot get your pics to show any bigger - they are not live links. Can you repost?
Hi Jim,
Sorry for the delay. My old desktop's memory got fried and the new computer is still on the way (using a Netbook now).
The two images were 'grabs' off a Windows Media screenshot. When the new machine arrives I will try again.

Still, even with the images as they are, the fish seem clearly to be Malacanthus, but without any hint of the dark tail margins of M. brevirostris. I can find no reference to such 'featureless' versions.

Pedro

Back
Top Bottom