PDIC to NAUI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Underbluewaters

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey scuba buddies!
I was wondering if someone could give me a little advice. I have rescue, nitrox and a couple other extra certs. Right now i am going on to dive master and eventually to instructor. All my courses are through NAUI but the shop around me now is PDIC. I want to get instructor through NAUI but was wondering if getting my dive master through PDIC was a bad idea?
Thanks!

If you want to be a NAUI Instructor I'd suggest that you go through NAUI's leadership ladder. I usually think that mixing and matching is a good idea, but not when you've already got a ledership goal in mind, unless you have the luxury of taking both the PDIC and NAUI courses.

I am a PDIC and NAUI instructor. Each course is very good and covers the same ground. As with all instruction it’s really about the instructor. I recommend you go and speak with the instructor and see what his back ground is and if you like him and feel comfortable then sign up for the class. PDIC, and NAUI were founded by the same people and principles.

PDIC, and NAUI were founded by the same people and principles.
I was unaware of this. What did Murphy have to do with the founding of NAUI?

Definatley not the same people involved with PDIC and NAUI at the beginning or now. Anyway to answer the question from the OP. You can do the PDIC DM and then attend a NAUI Prep course and ITC (Non-NAUI DM's must do a prep course to do an ITC). A NAUI DM can go directly to an ITC.
I am unfamiliar with the PDIC DM program so do not know how well it would relate to the NAUI course I can't say. Have you already done the NAUI Master Scuba Diver course? I find DM's from other agencies that do not have this background many times have problems with the knowledge tests at the ITC.

Doug Bennett
NAUI CD 17952

PDIC's leadership level that is equivalent to divemaster is termed dive supervisor. The training for PDIC dive supervisors, SSI dive cons, PADI and NAUI divemasters, and the like from the other agencies is basically similar. The important skills that are learned at this level of leadership primarily concern safety. You are really being trained to be an underwater lifeguard. Courses alone do not produce good diving leaders at this level. Good instructors and good courses certainly start divers entering these levels off on the right foot... or fin? But, only through experience will one really learn the public relations skills, educational skills, attention to detail, awareness, the ability to think like a lifeguard for problem recognition and prevention, group control, the ability to think like a lawyer to cover your butt and that of your employer, and the ability to win the hearts and minds of the customers. So, rather than look at brand XYZ versus brand ABC, at this crucial level of a diver's education what really matters is how much time will a prospective dive leader get working with divers at all levels. If you want to be a NAUI instructor experience will be the best teacher. Will you get more experience if you take a dive supervisor course from the PDIC shop and then are able to help with classes at all levels because the shop is conveniently close? As was said, what do you think of the instructors? As the saying goes, "It's the instructor not the agency." Who will give you the most for your time and energy and who will expose you to the greatest diversity of courses from entry level to advanced, specialties, tech, pro courses, etc? Cross agency training also builds respect for what the other brands offer. Dive leaders who have been affiliated with different agencies often treat customers as equals rather than just being pro team or brand and makes divers feel more welcome at a shop or resort no matter what card they carry. This is your time to be mentored, work hard and reap the rewards of the experience that comes with leading, coaching and looking out for the well-being of others, getting time at a shop servicing equipment, learning the ropes, and all that jazz so that when you don your instructor shirt no matter what agency you teach through you will be producing students we can all thank you for training.

WOW yes I am PDIC IT and would recommend that the Dive Supervisor Course is both a Fun and Work filled experience...
By being closer to you you can dedicated more time and become even more comfortable working with students and Divers so that when you decide to Do the instructor course I Hope you decide to stay with PDIC...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom